Strange Exhaust Leak?

Flint V6

May 9, 2012
I have an 2001 mustang ragtop V6 with what sounds like an exhaust leak right by the 1 cylinder.(drivers side) I tried changing the manifold gasket and looked at the manifold for leaks/cracks. I found no apparent leaks or the tell tale black soot from a leak. Any Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

did you check both manifolds? Sound can echo oddly sometimes. The front cylinder on the driver side is actually the 4th cylinder. I had a massive exhaust leak that turned out to be a giant crack in the 6th cylinder tubing. Just be careful, I've got to rebuild my whole engine because of it now. Not complaining really because I wanted to keep the V6 anyway but still. Check both sides and check them again, especially if the leak gets any worse.

if it's not a leak it could be your rockers, which would mean they're loose or there's not enough oil.

that's about the only things I can think of at the moment though, hope I helped.

UPDATE: the manifold was actually cracked in two very small places. my mechanic did some sort of "smoke' test and found them. Put on a new manifold and it is now quiet!
Thanks Killian Korth for the help, the extra look was what I needed.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: the manifold was actually cracked in two very small places. my mechanic did some sort of "smoke' test and found them. Put on a new manifold and it is now quiet!
Thanks Killian Korth for the help, the extra look was what I needed.
No problem, I'm by no means a master mechanic, nor do I know all there is to know about these cars. However, I like to think I'm at the very least adequate when it comes to diagnosing the 'stangs, and as long as I helped then all is well B)

it turns out that cracking is really common with the stock headers. My buddy that bought a 99 had a crack in the #1 header. It happened to mine, and it's pretty much anywhere people ask for help with exhaust leaks haha. It's a pain in the ass but oh well, as long as it gets fixed before it does any real damage like on mine.