Strange Hollow Sound

rebus20

Jun 25, 2017
When I let off the gas on my car it makes a weird hollow growling sound. I can't think of how else to explain it. It sounds like an air intake growl. It only does it when letting off the gas. The car has basically straight pipes with no cats and stock mufflers. 03 by. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

When I let off the gas on my car it makes a weird hollow growling sound. I can't think of how else to explain it. It sounds like an air intake growl. It only does it when letting off the gas. The car has basically straight pipes with no cats and stock mufflers. 03 by. Any ideas?
Ever had your rear gears messed with ?

I think I know what you speak of. Pretty sure I've got the same noise. Do you have the stock air box on there, or an aftermarket unit?

I haven't found the source exactly either but when I was poking around under the hood to pinpoint it, it definitely sounded like it was coming from the air intake. I had a K&N air intake on mine for a while but then switched back to the stock setup. I started noticing the noise after putting the stock intake back on. I don't remember it being there when it was first on the car, and it definitely wasn't there with the K&N intake.I have no idea either...it'll come and go to be honest. For me, it's only at idle and it may go away by itself, or if I give it a tiny bit of throttle. It almost seems like it's coming from the filter housing to me.

That sounds exactly like my situation. Yes, it's the stock air intake

Just to check-in...have you had any luck tracking it down at all?

I haven't bothered lately to be honest. I narrowed it down and I don't think I'll bother with it again until I'm due for a new air filter. Then I'll probably poke around more and see if I can find it. But right now, it's just a slight annoyance to me and not really hurting anything.

I haven't. I did read a post that the iac can cause it so I ordered one and waiting for it to arrive. I will update when it comes in but we are bracing for impact from the hurricane now.