Strange whining sound after installin control arms.

Well,

I installed Steeda aluminium upper and lower control arms a while ago and yesterday was the first chance i actually got to drive some actual distance.

I noticed that at about 50mph in both 4th and 5th there is wuite a loud whine coming from somewhere. Not a high pitched kenne bell type whine but its way deeper. It seems to stop making the noise at 60mph ish.. It also only made the noise while i was accelerating. If the car was at 55mph and i came off the gas, the noise stopped, but hit the gas again and it returned.... Also, no noise coasting down from 60mph to 50mph.

Is it the motor ? Cant be as its obviously at different rpms at 50mph depending on thr 4th or 5th gear selection. Even so, i tried holding it at multiple different rpms but there was no noise.

So Im left with 4 options really, diff, transmission, prop shaft or wheel bearing.

Are there any ways of testing these without goin to a dyno ? I dont really fancy driving at 55 with a buddy in the boot listening for the diff in the spare wheel well :nonono:

As i said before, the only things changed were the contol arms, the upper ones of which i believe alter the pinion angle by 2*, could it be to do with that ?

Any ways, I hope someone here can help me out :flag:

Cheers

EDGE

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like it's just extra road feed-back from the new control arms. I noticed that in my car as well after I had the new control arms put in. If you don't feel any movement of the rear at highway speeds, then you're probably ok. Just if you hear any bad squeeking or feel any odd movement of the rear during acceleration in a straight line, then its time to check the control arms to make sure they're botled in tight and installed correctly.

How was the condition of the spring isolators? It sounds like you have driveline noise being transmitted inside the car, which is rare with the Steeda arms.

Check your spring isolators, and the grommets that close the e-brake cables to the body to make sure they are seated correctly. It's common for them to pop loose.

I'd say it's something associated with the rear end. The on-throttle,off-throttle differences make me think it's something in the differential. Most aftermarket arms will tranmit more noise to the car so it's probably been there for a while but just never could hear until now. How long ago did you have the 3.73's installed? They may not be properly set up,or it could be a rear wheel bearing. My car made that same kinda noise but I knew something was up by the moisture on the back side of the rim on the side with the bad bearing.

thanks for the responess guys,

the sprind isolaters seemed ine, a bit old looking but in no way damaged. All parts seem to be where they should be too..

The rear gears were installed years ago, by the guy who bought the car new from saleen. The axel has 3.55 on it, but the guy that had it before me went and bough 3.73s for it and when he took them to be installed the garage guy took off the diff cover and there sat a set of 3.73s already. Ive got this spare set of 3.73s in the garage, but installing costs are way up over here....

ill check everything again but nothing's loose or anything..

any further thoughts guys ?

EDGE