strength of the early 302 blocks compared to the 5.0 roller blocks

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
I know the stock 5.0L roller motors out of fox bodies tend to split at around 550hp with all stock bottom end. I have heard in the past that the early (late 60's) 302 blocks were built with more beef throughout them. I was wondering if these early blocks would be able to handle more hp reliably than the later roller blocks...

• Sponsors (?)

all 289/302/5.0 blocks are quite similar in strength, with the exception of the boss 302 block. the early blocks will handle a bit more power before they split apart, but not enough to try and find an early block in good enough shape to build.

Not to start an arguement but...

My engine builder highly recomended a pre 1982 block because of strength. Knowing nothing about the subject I asked Ed Curtis about it, he is a cam builder (real good one) and he agreed with my builder that the older blocks are stronger.

I used a 78 bronco block myself.

They quit making the 2 peice rear main seals in 1982, supposedly thats the last year of the heavier blocks.

the older blocks had a higher nickel content (i think) which is what makes them stronger.

if you are going with your really high HP goal as you stated, there are many after market blocks that are much stronger than stock ones.

Reactions: 1 user
I won't lie, its not for wussies....being WOT on a 500hp+ stock block is scary :hide:

you know how it is Iskwezm:rlaugh:

I really don't want an aftermarket block because I know once I do- its going from 9psi to 15-20psi and I don't think i'll ever be ready for that.

The best older block behind the Boss 302 and the Mex block is the 78-up D8VE casting. That one's got 10 lbs more iron than the earlier and later (80-85 block) The 1980-84 blocks are junk. Ditto for the early 50 oz cranks. The best roller blocks are the E6SE & later castings. They have 6 lbs more iron than the 85 roller blocks. Ditto on the "high nickel myth" Nickel makes iron harder to machine, hence the unlikelyhood more nickel was added to any production block. Special application castings? Yea, that's a definate possibility.

Anything over 450-500 and it could go. There is not enough beef in the cam valley and it splits from there on. Guys have run 600 before, but it was a rarity. Been there done that.

attachment.php

My 347 ford shortblock came with a sportsman "b" block, it looked to have the heavier webbing like the old mexicans. They sold the 347 longblock "z cam" rated @ 450hp when I bought mine, this was pre boss blocks. Now no shortblock from ford and the longblock comes with the boss block. Mine should carry 450hp (without boost or juice) for a long long time before any problems with the block.