Stripped rocker bolt, anything else i can try?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i went to change my rockers from my 1.7 cranes to my 1.6 fms ones so i have a little less lift for clearance on my new shortblock.

anyways.. one of the bolts stripped. this is a list of stuff i have tried:

pb lube, wd-40, flathead screwdrivers, star-40, tried tapping in a star-45, tried phillips, 5.5mm allen, tried tapping 6mm allen, 1/4" allen, pretty much everything possible.

guy at the parts store told me an ez-out wouldnt work well since i still have the head on it. i tried jb welding the allen wrench in there to get it out, it spun the jb weld. its pretty much round now after all this bs and im wondering what my other options are short of removing the head and taking it somewhere? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

take a round out socket smash it over the head(the head of the bolt is supose to be intact) with a hammer..........(sears has some really good ones) and heat it a bit with a pocket torch just enough to soften the threads then she should twist on out....

there is no room to smash a socket on. there is hardly any space between the bolt head and the side of the rocker.

only hope was for an allen wrench or something, but that isint working either.

i think the tool 88stangmangt is talking about is a "sock-it-out"...i use these at work on stripped allen head bolts...they are shaped like an allen wrench on the end except they taper bigger as they go up so when you tap them in with a hammer they wedge themselves in place then you just turn out the bolt...but just ask for the name "sock-it-out"...hope that helps some :shrug:

Would it be easier to take the whole stud out? If you 'had' to, you could cut the stud and get a new one once it is out, to save your rocker. On Pedestal mount (which I dont THINK you have), ez out works like a breeze while heads are on, as long as you get a good straight centerdrill. I have even removed broken taps from pedestals.

I think they're pedestal mount robos, not stud.

Others are steering you in the right direction. Can you cut a slot in the top of it with a cutoff wheel/Dremel (lengthwise with the rocker), and then get a big flat blade screw driver in the slot - then get a big adjustable on the screw driver handle or shaft?

If you were looking for more P to V clearance, the sad part is that reducing the rocker ratio only gives you about 5 thousandths of additional clearance - not hardly worth changing them at all.