Strong Feeling my motor is going to bite the dust real soon

04GTMustang

Feb 28, 2006
Stafford
well i have been getting a good gut feeling that my motor is about ready to tank. its either my clutch making a groaning/grinding noise when i smack on it in low rpms or its my rod bearings crying hahaha. its fine up high no knock or anything the methanol is holding that off pretty well.

I just hope that she holds on until about june then ill have the mmr shortblock.

ill change the oil here soon though and check for any metal shavings from the bearings lol

• Sponsors (?)

Pull your dipstick and see if there are any shavings, more than likely you will be able to tell if it is the rod bearings when you change your oil like you said.

On a side note, when did MMR shortblocks become so cheap? The 600 block is 2499, and the 800 and 900 are not much more. It is amazing that Livernois and other builders are charging so much more. Not to knock them but the cost from MMR is about even as to using all of the parts to build it up yourself and do all the cleaning work to a used block.

I need to start saving....

yea i just hope she lasts till june with my driving hahaha. i cant stay out of boost especially with this cold weather and 245s on there for the time being hahahahaha. 3rd gear goes sideways lol its too much fun.

oh well if she does mmr 900 or 950 stroker and a big shot of nitrous goes in and we will see what other weak parts decide its time to bite the dust then i shall replace those hahaha.

its like boot camp im trying to rule out the weaker ones. put her through hell and see what parts decide they can take the pressure.:D

You won't normally hear a rod bearing under heavy load, like punching it from low rpms. Rod bearings make the most noise around 1500-2500rpm at light loads, and it is a clank-clank-clank-clank sound. It will also be more pronounced when the engine and oil are hot. So here's a good check... after driving it next time, rev slowly from about 1500 to 2500 and listen to what you hear. It'll be a clank that is rpm depended and once per revolution (twice per rev if it's really bad!).

You won't normally hear a rod bearing under heavy load, like punching it from low rpms. Rod bearings make the most noise around 1500-2500rpm at light loads, and it is a clank-clank-clank-clank sound. It will also be more pronounced when the engine and oil are hot. So here's a good check... after driving it next time, rev slowly from about 1500 to 2500 and listen to what you hear. It'll be a clank that is rpm depended and once per revolution (twice per rev if it's really bad!).

it doesnt make a peep under light load. and i have an exhaust leak i am sure because i hear that under load so i am not exactly sure what i am hearing so who knows it could just be the exhaust leak that i am hearing. because up top in the rpms i dont hear anything but the exhaust cause its so loud and i dont hear the leak anymore either. I only hear the leak under load and under 3k

Here's a thought.....why don't you not beat on it until you've got a replacement ready? ;)

Reminds me of that old joke where the guys goes into the doctors office....

Man: "Doc, I'm having pain in my arm when I wave it up and down....what should I do?"
Doc: "Stop waiving your arm up and down!" :shrug:

Here's a thought.....why don't you not beat on it until you've got a replacement ready? ;)

Reminds me of that old joke where the guys goes into the doctors office....

Man: "Doc, I'm having pain in my arm when I wave it up and down....what should I do?"
Doc: "Stop waiving your arm up and down!" :shrug:

Easier said than done, you know as well as i how addictive boost is :D