Strut Suspension upgrades in early Mustangs

C0y0te

Aug 18, 2004
Has anyone converted a McPherson strut front suspension to the early mustangs? Fatman has a kit available but I am curious why it is not more popular. The Mustang II kits seem very popular, how would these two compare? When Ford designed the front end, wasn't the weight held by the lower shock tower brace ( where the upper and lower arm connect to the body), while the strut style seems to place the weight on the upper shock tower which does not appear to be as strong.

• Sponsors (?)

RRS makes a conversion kit....I would consider it if I could get some opinions from owners here in the states........

Chris Barton

C0y0te said:
Has anyone converted a McPherson strut front suspension to the early mustangs? Fatman has a kit available but I am curious why it is not more popular. The Mustang II kits seem very popular, how would these two compare? When Ford designed the front end, wasn't the weight held by the lower shock tower brace ( where the upper and lower arm connect to the body), while the strut style seems to place the weight on the upper shock tower which does not appear to be as strong.

RRS makes a conversion kit....I would consider it if I could get some opinions from owners here in the states........

Chris Barton

http://www.rrs-online.com/html/united_states.htm

C0y0te said:

Most of the forces are directed to the upper shock mount and spring seat in the stock type suspension. A Mac-strut type suspension wouldn't be much different in that respect.

The MII setups move the shock and spring mounts much lower thus move the force concentrations to the lower areas of the engine bay. If you decide to go with a MII type suspension. it has been sugested that all of the new spirng/shock mounts be reinforced and tied into the original load paths to prevent deflection and cracking.