Fox Strut tower issue

TexxDex

Jul 21, 2023
Hello, I’m curious what you guys think should be done. Cut up strut tower, what’s the next move? Easy weld or new assembly?

Attachments

• IMG_6246.jpeg
    IMG_6246.jpeg
    695.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6247.jpeg
    IMG_6247.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6249.jpeg
    IMG_6249.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6252.jpeg
    IMG_6252.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

The alignment will be affected because those camber plates are going to have to come off and then be reinstalled after the fix.

Once it's apart, a decent welder should be able to patch that up pretty quickly.

You will most certainly need a front-end alignment once you get it all back together. It might also be a good time to replace any worn bushings, pinions, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy cow man...whoever did that should have their a*s kicked. Agree with above that a competent welder can fix that. Have you seen it apart? Just wondering if finding a wrecked car and cutting the top of the strut towers off and have them ready in case they are fubared.

The alignment will be affected because those camber plates are going to have to come off and then be reinstalled after the fix.

Once it's apart, a decent welder should be able to patch that up pretty quickly.

You will most certainly need a front-end alignment once you get it all back together. It might also be a good time to replace any worn bushings, pinions, etc.
I’m stripping the whole engine bay. So ya I’ll def need an alignment. My question was more geared to like permanent alignment problem. But since you mention a patch job then it should affect it. I was thinking like welding a new sheet of metal or soemthing which could alter alignment permanently possibly. Anywho thank you!

You’re telling me. When I saw this I was like wtf ain’t no way. But ppl rlly do be cheating out and lazing out :(
After watching " Just Rolled In " episodes on youtube, I am absolutely shocked at what some people do to cars and what some people drive.... and they could be in the car next to you..... Watch it sometime.....

Is this on coil-overs or just standard springs/shocks?

That's about the last place I would cut metal on these cars. When you hit a bump, those towers are taking some serious load. I wouldn't cut out material on those, but instead weld in a patch plate. The load will be upwards so I would weld ot the underside, and then stitch up the cuts from the top and grind smooth. A better shot with the C/C plate removed might be helpful in determining a course of action. I would also work slowly and try to let the area cool. Last thing you want to do is get everything hot and make the metal brittle. Do a couple welds, and then take a break to let it cool.

Reactions: 1 user