Stuck Harmonic Balancer Bolt - 289

First I tried an impact wrench and now its soaking in WD-40. I'm trying to pull the balancer to replace the timing chain cover while in the car. I just did a T5 swap and my drive shaft is being shortened and I'm having trouble from keeping the engine from turning.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

one option you can always try in the future is to take a long breaker bar, install it on the bolt and use the starter to turn the crank. that seems to work every rime i have heard it tried.

man that sounds dangerouse, they have a tool for holding the fly wheel
from turning. i have also used a large screwdriver wedged it in the teeth
on the fly weel and had some one use an impact to loosen the bolt .it usualy
doesnt take much force if the motor can be stoped from turning. besides the
motor would turn in the same direction the bolt tightens not loosens,the motor
turns left so it would tighten the bolt:runaway:

Horse sence: The motor turns CW when looking at it from the front. The bolt needs to go CCW to be loosened so the above method would work (and has been used by countless others.)

My concern would be for the radiator and other fragile parts if the breaker bar slips so use this method at your own risk.

I`d want a cheater pipe about 8 foot long so i could hide behind something when someone hit the starter...

I`m not saying I wouldn`t do it, but I`d have to be out of other options.

i am with you ,i can still count to ten on my fingers and i plan on
being able to do so for a long long time yet,and no extra holes ,that
i am aware of
1.jpg

the first time i remember a mustang was in kindergarden, the play ground
was in the parking lot .the teacher called all of us over and pointed at a prety
brand new poppy red 65 convert with white top and interior she said kids you see
this car ,we all said yes teacher. she then said DONT TOUCH i will always
remember that car