Sub Frame Connectors & Strut Tower Brace

87 GT Stang

Jul 6, 2003
Just wondering if anybody has noticed a great differance in handleing and ride after installing sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace. I was thinking about getting some but I wanted to know if they were worth the $200. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1990 5.0 hatch and just installed both Kenny Brown subframes and a crome MAC strut tower brace. The car handles fantastically!

The subframes are a MUST! The STB is necessary only if you're planning on doing ovals with the car and taking tight turns. I don't do either but I installed it anyways as it does add to the front end tightness, and should I decide to put in a supercharger, I'm all set. depending on how much abuse you put on your car, subframes may be all you really need.

However, my advice to you is DO NOT install a STB unless you have subframes cause all that twisting will work it's way up to the sheet metal where the STB is bolted down and turn the drilled circular holes into wide ovals!!!

An STB should be used as an aid to the subframes.

Subframes should be your fstarting point/first priority to stiffening up the chassis before you add any other mods.

I have a 1990 5.0 hatch and just installed both Kenny Brown subframes and a crome MAC strut tower brace. The car handles fantastically!

The subframes are a MUST! The STB is necessary only if you're planning on doing ovals with the car and taking tight turns. I don't do either but I installed it anyways as it does add to the front end tightness, and should I decide to put in a supercharger, I'm all set. depending on how much abuse you put on your car, subframes may be all you really need. Make sure you weld the subs in and not just bolt them down.

However, my advice to you is DO NOT install a STB unless you have subframes cause all that twisting will work it's way up to the sheet metal where the STB is bolted down and turn the drilled circular holes into wide ovals!!!

An STB should be used as an aid to the subframes.

Subframes should be your fstarting point/first priority to stiffening up the chassis before you add any other mods.

I installed the entire Steeda g-trac suspension system which includes the subframe connectors and stb. I installed the stb before the subframe connectors and noticed only a slight improvement. But, I noticed a great improvement when I installed the subframe connectors. With a 'vert they are absolutely necessary. I believe the subframe connectors are worth the price and the stb is nice, but not as much improvement. Both together are probably better than one or the other.

I've got all three on my car (home made too) and it seems a lot tighter in the turns and overall. One think I did notice was a slight deterioration in ride quality though. You're not transmitting all of the energy throughout your chassis the same way you used to, so since it’s not flexing and bending like it used to, you can really feel the suspension working it out.

On a side note, if you’re looking to build your own braces, you may want to pick up a copy of the William R Mathis “Mustang Performance Handbook 2”. It’s loaded with schematics and drawing of all kinds of suspension mods, including strut tower braces, sub-frame connectors, cages, control arm, etc, etc.

Sorry I couldn’t find a bigger pic, here’s the link to Amazon.com if anyones interested.
View attachment 524519
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557882029/ref=nosim/worldofnewave/104-9452586-5633501