• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Subframe Connectors Install

  • Thread starter Thread starter dcstang67
  • Start date Start date Jan 5, 2009

dcstang67

Member
May 26, 2008
127
1
19
Jan 5, 2009
#1
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #1
I have a 67 coupe that I am running my fuel lines on. Right now the car is sitting up on stands on the suspension. There is no engine or trans in the car, no doors or fenders on the car and there is no interior in the car. I just held the Global West subframe connectors in place and noticed that the welding points are very close to the fuel lines. While doing all the panel fitting and bodywork the engine, trans and all body panels were on the car. I would like to weld them on before I button up the fuel lines so I can move them out of the way while welding.

Is it safe to weld the connectors on the car now as it sits with no weight in the car?

Will this affect my body lines if I weld them on now, or should I wait until the engine, trans and body panels are in and on the cvar before welding the connectors?
 

dcstang67

Member
May 26, 2008
127
1
19
Jan 5, 2009
#2
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #2
Anybody?????
 
J

Justin01

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
546
0
0
Texas
Jan 5, 2009
#3
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #3
http://forums.stangnet.com/750440-subframe-connectors-some-questions.html

Some ways down you can see a picture of the guy welding on the SFC's with the weight of the car ON the tires. On my old '98, I was told to also do this. I couldn't do it myself because I didn't have a fancy lift and I couldn't weld. Paid around $125 to have them welded in but they were full length SFC's.

Don't take my word for it though, call or email the manufacturer or steeda or maximum motorsports and ask to make sure.
 

dcstang67

Member
May 26, 2008
127
1
19
Jan 5, 2009
#4
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #4
That didnt really answer my question. I was wondering if it is safe to weld them in now, or should I wait until I have the engine, trans, doors, and nose back on the car so it has the proper weight in it when I weld?
 
P

palerider94

Member
Feb 21, 2006
573
1
19
Jan 5, 2009
#5
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #5
I've got the same question. Attached is a post I saved on subject but as I read it not sure it helps much. Although I'd like to hear other opinions, where I landed is that I'm going to wait till I have the car all back togther and save this and gas line for last. Will lift car and put wheels under ramps instead of jacking up on frame rails. Better safe than sorry since I will be welding them in.
 
J

Justin01

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
546
0
0
Texas
Jan 5, 2009
#6
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #6
As I was not restoring my mustang when mine were installed, I was trying to get at the point of making sure your supension is "weighted". Not on a frame lift, or one side jacked up or on a rotissere (sp?).

As I said, the absolute best advice I can give is call Global West or a distributor who installs their products and get it straight from the horses mouth. I gave you my scenario, but am unsure if the weight of the motor/trans will affect the exact locations of the mount as these cars flex like a ******.
 
M

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
2,976
1
56
North Carolina
Jan 5, 2009
#7
  • Jan 5, 2009
  • #7
Yes, your car needs to be together and sitting on its suspension (drive on lift is easiest).
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
322
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
380
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
949
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Yesterday at 4:28 AM
2v_johnny
2
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
538
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
924
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?