Subframe connectors

DE-03GT

Nov 23, 2003
WNY
Any opinions/experiences, good or bad on subframe connectors, weld in of course. Going to be my first mod since I'll hve access to a lift and mig welder, but only until early may.

• Sponsors (?)

I have Maximum Motorsports full-lengths. They made an amazing difference in the ride of my vert. Stiffened the car up completely. They are a "must have" mod in my book.

Mustangs are uni-bodies and do not have a full frame (2 steel rails connecting the front bumper to the rear bumper providing for a very ridgid chassis).
Sub-frame connectors make up that missing stretch of frame rail to connect the front with the rear, making the car more ridgid.
I learned in one of my high performance S&S classes to always use tubular round steel connectors because the square ones allow twisting to occur.
So get round tubular
Be careful when having them welded in because the welding can burn the interior carpet.

DC-GT said:
Newb question....

What are subframe connectors?

Bo

Subframe connectors are long (about 5 feet) pieces of metal which fit underneath the car, one on each side. The should be welded-in. They
connect the two subframes of the car together. Result is much stiffer
chassis, which helps handling and eliminates some twists and groans. Gives
the car a little bit of that Mercedes "vault-like" feel. I found them to be
the "best-bang-for-the-buck" mod going. :)

Cheers,
Tom

stallion98gt said:
I have Griggs Racing subframes..I love them..definitly big improvement on the ride...

When you say "big improvement on the ride", do you mean cornering or do you mean the ride is actually smoother/softer?

Bo

DC-GT said:
When you say "big improvement on the ride", do you mean cornering or do you mean the ride is actually smoother/softer?

Bo
If you want smother/softer, you don't want subframes. Subframes are going to make the ride harsher, but they will allow the car to corner much better.

Russ-4.6 said:
If you want smother/softer, you don't want subframes. Subframes are going to make the ride harsher, but they will allow the car to corner much better.

Thanks!

I am not looking to go smoother/softer, I was just trying to learn from what was said but I wasn't sure what he meant..

Bo

Kenny Brown's are rectangular. I've got them and love 'em. Would highly recommend them.

I'm not to sure about the whole Tubular vs. rectangular issue, but the KB's rep is not beaten.

If you really wanna get "eXtreme" :banana: , get the KB Extreme Matrix Brace.

I have the Maximum Motrorsports Full-Length Sub Frame Connectors.
They made a huge difference to my GT Coupe.
Much better cornering and the ride is much more solid.
I thought that the ride might become harsh but it didn't.
The car just feels stronger and more sturdy.
The difference in cornering is amazing though!

I ordered some from CGS off ebay last week. They are tubular style and look just like the ones from steeda, and they were only $46 shipped. I don't have them yet but I read on other mustang sites and people were really happy with them. I say go with tubular vs. rectangular, the tubular justs resists twisting so much more than the other designs.