Suggestions please!

I-Zombie5.0

Apr 17, 2005
First, I'd like to say I've been checking out this site for a while now and it seems like this place has some very cool people who know wtf they're talking about. :hail2:
Now for my question. Will a supercharger put me in the 12's in the 1/4 mile, or should I just save more money and buy a turbo? I've heard prices for sc's anywhere from $2,500-$3,500, and $4,500+ for turbos. My current mods on my car(1990 25th anni. vert 5.0 auto) are Cobra intake, BBK cold air, X-pipe w/ flows. All replies greatly appreciated :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

hey whatsup and welcome to stangnet

depending on the amout of boost but yeah you could get into the 12's easily with a supercharger. Turbo's are expensive and but very good power adders. If you just want 12's a turbo is way overkill. You can even do a N/A combo to get you into the 12's a thumper/tmoss combo would do that for ya. And that would only cost you around 1000 (tell me if I'm wrong guys, I dont remember the prices). A

Another mod to concered is rear gears, I would recomend 3:73's for a t-5 and 4:10's for a auto.

it all depends on your goal, what is your goal?

FiveLtrRiceEatr said:
hey whatsup and welcome to stangnet

depending on the amout of boost but yeah you could get into the 12's easily with a supercharger. Turbo's are expensive and but very good power adders. If you just want 12's a turbo is way overkill. You can even do a N/A combo to get you into the 12's a thumper/tmoss combo would do that for ya. And that would only cost you around 1000 (tell me if I'm wrong guys, I dont remember the prices). A

Another mod to concered is rear gears, I would recomend 3:73's for a t-5 and 4:10's for a auto.

it all depends on your goal, what is your goal?

My goal is to have a daily driver that can dip into the low 12's, maybe high 11's. My budget is limited, so I'm happy that a turbo would be overkill. BTW, what's a thumper/tmoss combo? Sorry to sound like such a newbie. :stupid:

I-Zombie5.0 said:
My goal is to have a daily driver that can dip into the low 12's, maybe high 11's. My budget is limited, so I'm happy that a turbo would be overkill. BTW, what's a thumper/tmoss combo? Sorry to sound like such a newbie. :stupid:

Do a search on Thumper or TMOSS, you'll find gobs of info. Turbo, overkill if you want 12's, because with tractions it will shoot you past the 12's.

Turbo is not practical for a daily driver.
Supercharger is cool and will get you in the 12's easily but as i've said in other similar posts, if your motor has more than 50,000 miles, you'll likely start to leak oil and blow out alot of the intake gaskets.

Get a good heads/cam/intake setup and go from there, if done right you can beat the hell out of the car, just like it came from the factory.

Done right you can go low 12's even high 11's on a good h/c/i setup. I've personally seen 11.70's with a stock shortblock, and there is a few guys here at 11.9's that way.
Unlikely you'll go that fast with just a supercharger.
Cost done each way is similar for the supercharger and H/c/i.

A couple things I want to point out...

I wouldn't get a gear like 410's...you will run out of gear real quick when you start talking about adding a charger w h/c...and you will have to beef up your suspension quite a bit to support the tire spinning that will occur.

Even with an S trim...I would say getting 12's will be close. You have an AOD vert...and that will be a disadvantage.

I would say a 6psi kit (S/C trim) won't get you there...the S trim is 8psi.

TMOSS/THUMPER can take care of your porting needs for less $$$ than expensive aftermarket heads and intakes etc. If you wanna see 12s without adding boost or juice I'd say get some E7s ported get a HO cam and maybe a cobra intake. After that get 3.73s or 4.10s depending on your trans. Or you could dip into a lil more power and get some AFR or Trick Flow aluminum heads and save prolly 50lbs off the from and gain 40+ hp and theb get a custom grind cam. That'll be a couple tenths or so faster than having stock pieces ported. All about the $$ :) Hope I helped.

2000xp8 said:
Get a good heads/cam/intake setup and go from there. Done right you can go low 12's even high 11's on a good h/c/i setup. I've personally seen 11.70's with a stock shortblock, and there is a few guys here at 11.9's that way. QUOTE]

How much would heads/cam cost, I already have a Cobra intake, and what do I look for when buying heads and cam? Certain brands, compression?

Basically you'll need all the stuff listed in my sig, doesn't have to be the same stuff, but those parts in general.
I'd base the whole combo around afr 165 or Twisted wedge heads.

BTW, i did NOT notice you had an auto vert. With some work done as said above 3.73 gears may be better, and you'll probably need a shift kit and a converter to get that thing motivated into the 12's.

Also, i wouldn't consider ported e7's to begin with, and definetely NOT if you want to get an auto vert into the 12's. You'll do all that work, and still be in the high 13's.