Super Clean II on....

LXXVICOBRA said:
Well, I see it didn't make the reserve. I can't help but to feel that it's in part due to the color, as the total number of different bidders was ony eight. The car certainly appears clean enough to possibly command more....and it would seem that a more popular color might have obtained that (and possibly meeting reserve), just by the fair odds of being attractive to more bidders.

One thing that I have noticed here upon a closer look, which may have affected things a bit in the eyes of those who were bidding/looking for a clean stock basically unmodified original II...was that the engine bay has been painted black. It's not a big deal, and adds a nice contrast (especially in this case). But, it may have made a difference to someone. Of course, the fact the whole car was repainted may have done to same. With the interior showing so few signs of wear, I'm almost wondering why it was....even though I realize the car is thirty years old and that color always faded terribly if not maintained.

It is a nice car for sure. I don't think the color hurt the sale as much as the fact that it was repainted. I know that I would be greatly turned off by any car that was repainted. To me, I could care less if the car had 1 mile on it. If it's had a paint job, it's not original, and you have to wonder what kind of life it was subject to needing paint with only 21k. It still amazes me when I see all these Cobra IIs on ebay with "original paint", yet the cowl area, rear tailpanel, and top of the bumpers have stripes on them.

• Sponsors (?)

I do agree, it's a combination of both for sure. I can understand your thinking about repainted cars, if it's total originality you seek. Obviously, it's the best way to go to avoid any question about possible previous damage.
But, at this point in time, the remaining original paint cars that are also in good condition might be few and far between.

Next to that, I'd think most one owner repainted cars would be a pretty safe bet too, because most wouldn't have kept them that long if there had ever been major damage.

oh well, hopefully, it will go to a another good home soon.

I kind of wonder why it would have needed the exhaust replaced with so few miles and what the condition of the under carriage might be. The panel alignment is so nice that I just can not imagine there ever being any major damage. My biggest concern would be the possibility of the new paint covering any rust. With the engine compartment being painted it probably helped preserve the metal or on the down side to cover up rust in the battery tray etc. The colors are not my favorite either and I would never had thought I would like the green interior, but after looking at it for a while is grew on me. Now I like it alot and think it is kind of like the 68' bullit interior. If the bottom is solid and I was still looking for a II, I would be willing to pay a good bit more than that highest bid and I would still trade my 75' for it in a heartbeat even with all of the mods and a virtually new drive train. Honestly I am starting to have thoughts of selling mine and looking for something like this one.