SuperCharger or Turbo?

• Sponsors (?)

Richsstang said:
I have a 1999 V6 mustang and I am plannning on putting in either a supercharger or a turbo over the winter. I don't know what to do. If you have installed either one can you please comment on which you feel is better for a mustang. :spot:

Thanks

Go procharger. You will see ~275 or more to the wheels in a 5 spd.

Integraholic said:
Turbocharger. It feels way cooler and it's a lot easier to change boost levels if need be.

Feels cooler??? You gotta get the thing installed first before you can "feel" it. Swapping pullies isn't exactly rocket science either. The blower is gonna be an easier install and more often than not more cost efficient.

nah man...turbos are the shinitz...just go buy a kit...lol...oh wait...they don't make turbo kits for our cars :bang: Just get a procharger. Even if you get a turbo kit. You won't be that much faster then a stang with a charger unless you can get forged internals and have your heads/intakes completely redone.

id go turbo easiers and cheeper in long run. They dont make turbo kits for our cars but you mihgt be able to take an sts rear mouted turbo and mout it on a stang. THey make kits for camaros and make generic kit but you have to buy the piping and get it bent. I think ther like 3500-4000. OYull see more power fomr one of these tan ull ever see form a regual intercooled turbo and a supercharger. THese turbo mout rihgt beehind the rear differential and gas tank. these turbo dont need an intercooler. STSTurbos. com or somethign like that you should lok into it

Supercharger. You have power available right away. No waiting. That and they stay a lot cooler than turbos do, and they require less modification to your engine than a turbo would (intercooler, downpipes, etc). Unless you're planning on doing twin turbo, then by all means, go twin turbo ;)

litlejayboy said:
id go turbo easiers and cheeper in long run. They dont make turbo kits for our cars but you mihgt be able to take an sts rear mouted turbo and mout it on a stang. THey make kits for camaros and make generic kit but you have to buy the piping and get it bent. I think ther like 3500-4000. OYull see more power fomr one of these tan ull ever see form a regual intercooled turbo and a supercharger. THese turbo mout rihgt beehind the rear differential and gas tank. these turbo dont need an intercooler. STSTurbos. com or somethign like that you should lok into it

mmk don't listen to the n00b everybody thats an ass load of work and you need a motor build up for the turbo... a super charger is much better for our car, seein how there's no turbo kit made for our cars and you don't hafta rebuild the motor to install a SC

97v6Silver said:
mmk don't listen to the n00b everybody thats an ass load of work and you need a motor build up for the turbo... a super charger is much better for our car, seein how there's no turbo kit made for our cars and you don't hafta rebuild the motor to install a SC

haha you are an idiot if you do a little research youll find out that they have put rear mouted turbos on stang and have been dynoed at 355hp and 403lbs tq to the tires on a stock v6 3.8 L wiht a 5 speed wiht out an intercooler look it up dumbass, DOnt talk if you havnt resherched it ***git. SC wastes gas and dont peak until max rpms turbo max at 2300rpms and wiht that turbo ther is barly any turbo lag. People these days talking out of ther ass wiht unkown knowledge.

atlblue2000 said:
Feels cooler??? You gotta get the thing installed first before you can "feel" it. Swapping pullies isn't exactly rocket science either. The blower is gonna be an easier install and more often than not more cost efficient.
You know what I mean. And no you dont have to get it installed before you can feel it. This might come as a shocker to you, but.....OTHER people have turbocharged cars!! You can ride in one of their cars and "feel" it!!! :eek: But you know, you are right, swapping pullies isn't exactly rocket science. But changing boost levels on a turbocharged car is just a taaaaaad bit easier. I know losening the belt, taking the pully off, putting a new one on, tightening everything back up and taking it for a spin isn't that hard, but it's definately harder than turning a little screw on a bleeder valve.

haha you are an idiot if you do a little research youll find out that they have put rear mouted turbos on stang and have been dynoed at 355hp and 403lbs tq to the tires on a stock v6 3.8 L wiht a 5 speed wiht out an intercooler look it up dumbass,

And where exactly is YOUR proof? 355 on a stock V6 motor just aint happening for longer than 5 minutes. The turbo would be putting enough pressure on that engine to destroy it.

well saying as thouhgt there a mustang shop down in southern IL and the owner has one on his website is my proof STSTurbo email him for the guys website in southern IL his website shows the dyno. RESERCH BEFROE YOU FELL LIKE SAYING ****

www.ststurbo.com

However, they don't make a turbo kit for our cars AND the turbo kits they sell seem flawed to me. First thing is the oiling system, they run pressurized oil from your engine, just like a turbo mounted near the engine, however... you've got 6 feet of the life-blood of your engine being exposed to rocks, the elements, etc. Second, the intake tubing is freaking long! It's gotta go from the turbo all the way to the front, up and into the intake...

We need to get some things straight. A properly sized turbo/intercooler will have no lag and just feel more powerful. Your engine just doesn't hit 3000rpm and WHAM, 400 horsepower. It's progressive. The down fall to turbochargers is the heat, you need to worry about plumbing exhaust piping around the engine bay to the other turbo in a twin turbo setup, and then intake piping, etc. The good side is, that it's 'free' horsepower, you use a byproduct of the combustion process to feed it.

Superchargers are good in the respect that they aren't heat driven and provide steady power from idle, just like a larger displacement. The only downfall I can think of would be the belt. At higher boost/rpm levels, they can slip and many-a-races have been lost from a thrown belt....

You are just asking for trouble mounting a turbo near the differential. Makes absolutely no sense. Why go through all that trouble when its more than possible to mount it cleanly in the engine bay. :confused: Anywho...355 rwhp from a turbo on a stock bottom end 3.8 NON-Intercooled will not last long...end of story. What reason could anyone have for throwing that much HP at a stock shortblock 3.8 without intercooling it??? Maybe they actually want to count how many pieces the pistons, rods and oil pan can obliterate into.

been said before, I'll say it now. Get a procharger...... It only took an 8 hour install in the garage (myself), didn't require a custom exhaust setup. With a turbo, you'll constantly want to UP the boost, leading to engine failure. The supercharger is perfect for daily driving and helps to pass cars, scare deer (whistle), etc.

And besides, are you going to take advice from someone who spells like they're in the 5th grade? Turbos are nice, yes, but with good turbos, must come good tuning. With good tuning, must come good money. You get what you pay for. The procharger/vortech kits have been in R&D for many years and are found to be reliable.