supercharger

o2gt

Jul 27, 2002
texas
Hi

I would really like to put a blower on my car i have done some searching but still have some questions. I would like to put a kb on but im worried about getting traction with the added torque and my 4.10 gears. So i began to think that something like a paxton would be better. I realize that this type of supercharger makes power at higher rpm's but with the 4.10 i figured i could get into the power range pretty quick. what would you guys do, and do you even think a kenny bell is a good choice with my gears. Im not looking to make crazy power just something to make my car a little more fun. one more question my car has 65,000 miles on it is my milage to high to put a blower on now ?

thanks

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

Hi

I would really like to put a blower on my car i have done some searching but still have some questions. I would like to put a kb on but im worried about getting traction with the added torque and my 4.10 gears. So i began to think that something like a paxton would be better. I realize that this type of supercharger makes power at higher rpm's but with the 4.10 i figured i could get into the power range pretty quick. what would you guys do, and do you even think a kenny bell is a good choice with my gears. Im not looking to make crazy power just something to make my car a little more fun. one more question my car has 65,000 miles on it is my milage to high to put a blower on now ?

thanks

Josh

I have a 2000 GT (vert) with a KB 1.7 and 4.10s. Yeah, first gear is sort of useless now, but I'd not change my setup. My car had 48,000 miles at the install.
I'd ask how well maintained your cars is, more than the actual mileage.

thanks for the reply. Last time i drove the car it was running good , mind you this was in December of 05. Since then its been sitting with the exception of 200 or so miles my brother en-law drove it. But im going to take it down to the local ford dealer and have anything fixed that it needs. but like i said it ran great in the past. the supercharger is kind of a present to my self for getting my heath problems fixed so i can get my l drivers licences back. I do have nitto dr on the back so i suppose that will help a little with traction.

thanks Josh

any more thoughts? I would really like to give my brother en-law a good race he has a camaro ss with full exhaust and free mods. I would really like to give him a good race when he comes home. also i have thought about putting cams on, does any one have advice on a good set ? not sure how much it maters but my car is an auto.

I have 3:73 and KB 1.7 and 1st is pretty much useless. I would go centri with your 4:10's and if you have the $ do the cams while your in there. Since VT took a dump, I would suggest going to MPH for some custom grinds. There are other good choices out there also. Then you'll need springs to go with the cams, usually. It's all about money brother. How much you got and what are your goals for your car? Strip, auto-x, street or just beat your brother in law, because if that's the case, just spray it and be done. Cheap and easy. You've got a lot of fun planning and research to do. Sometimes I think that's about as much fun as actually doing it. Good luck.

I have 3:73 and KB 1.7 and 1st is pretty much useless. I would go centri with your 4:10's and if you have the $ do the cams while your in there. Since VT took a dump, I would suggest going to MPH for some custom grinds. There are other good choices out there also. Then you'll need springs to go with the cams, usually. It's all about money brother. How much you got and what are your goals for your car? Strip, auto-x, street or just beat your brother in law, because if that's the case, just spray it and be done. Cheap and easy. You've got a lot of fun planning and research to do. Sometimes I think that's about as much fun as actually doing it. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply
As far as money goes I will have about $ 5,000 or so. IM going to move out to west texas soon, so if i can drag strip i would love to run the car out there sometime. the car will predominatly be used on the street for fun. It had thought about putting nitrous on but i really like the idea of having power all the time, and not having to worry about bottle refills. I do agree with you half the fun i choosing what to do on the car it has had the same mods since 2002 so i think it time for some more power.

what would you guys do nitrous and cams, or a supercharger. I have been thinking more about nitrous and it seems like it would be a cheap way to have some fun. how long will the average bottle of nitrous last ? I would assume it would depend on the size of the shot. How much should a spray if i was to get nitrous?

Thanks
Josh

Forget all the superchargers and with $5000 due a turbo. They make more power and more important torque. Hellion makes a great kit for a stang along with HP performance( but there kit is like 6500). Good luck and hope you figure out what you want. A 10lb bottle of nitrous on a 125 shot does not last long. I get anywhere from 6 to 10 good runs with one bottle. You will waste a bolt on SS with a 125 as I have.

A turbo would be nice, my dad has a 997 tt so i no the power of the turbo i just never really thought about putting one on my car. I dont think i will do nitrous since you say that u only get 6-10 uses out of one bottle. I dont no any shops in lubbock were i could get it filled. The torktech blower does look interesting. I had not heard of them before.

The torktech is a new setup I first seen it in a 5.0 mag a couple of months ago and then I looked at them but I'am going to do a turbo someday. Maybe do a complete engine build with H/C/I and get ready for some boost, Also you could do engine build with some suspension mods and do a nitrous kit until you could get a supercharger or turbo. The best thing you can do is research all of your options. I got a notebook full of ****, Good luck.

The torktech is a new setup I first seen it in a 5.0 mag a couple of months ago and then I looked at them but I'am going to do a turbo someday. Maybe do a complete engine build with H/C/I and get ready for some boost, Also you could do engine build with some suspension mods and do a nitrous kit until you could get a supercharger or turbo. The best thing you can do is research all of your options. I got a notebook full of ****, Good luck.
I thought about doing some head work a few years ago along with cams, but at the time it did not look like people were seeing really great gains. There is a shop called Houston performance I now u can get custom grinds and name brand cams , and i think they port heads if the power increase is pretty good i might do that. I no it would not be as good as forced induction but it would be a start, and make the car more fun to drive. there are so many options which can be both good and bad i suppose. thanks

Josh

Without a intercooler or aftercooler you are far more fulnerable
to detonation than with.
The Kennebell supercharger creates alot of heat under the hood
I wouldn't consider it without running there intercooler.I belive
the intercooled kit is nine psi. though.
A Procharger superchager would be a better choice with your
current 4.10 ring and pinion.
With a Kennebell and 4.10's you will have trouble hooking up
in first and second gear.You should consider changing your ring
and pinion to FRPP 3.55's or 3.73's.

65,000 is nothing for a 4.6, but do a compression test just to make sure everything is up to par before slapping on that blower.

THanks for the reply how do you like your vortech kit. I f i may ask how did you come to choose that particular supercharger. what type of horsepower are u making with your setup? This may be an stupid question but do you think it was worth the money you spent on supercharging your car? I guess what im saying would you do it again. I would like to thank you guys for your helpful input. thanks

Josh

If I had to do it again, I'd have bought a Cobra or better yet a Corvette. That said, the Vortech is reliable. In thinking about that, I'd rather have a Paxton or Kenne Belle on it, but I cant complain aside from that. Turbos, while they make great power, are just a royal pain in the ass on cars that weren't designed for them. At least the HP kit I helped install was.

THanks for the reply how do you like your vortech kit. I f i may ask how did you come to choose that particular supercharger. what type of horsepower are u making with your setup? This may be an stupid question but do you think it was worth the money you spent on supercharging your car? I guess what im saying would you do it again. I would like to thank you guys for your helpful input. thanks

Josh

I love my Vortech. I bought it used and I have no idea how many miles are on it. But I have never had any problems and I've had it for two years. Honestly, I chose my v1 S-trim because I bought it for a super good deal I couldn't pass up. If I had the money, I probably would have got a KB blower. This car is fast enough for me though, lol. It put down 417 whp at 9-10lbs of boost with my intercooler and 3.12 pulley. Now I'm running 13-14lbs of boost, but haven't put it on the dyno yet. I'd say it's pushing 440-450 whp now. I am very glad I bough this setup. I had nitrous before, but it was a b1tch always filling up bottles. Nitrous is great cheap speed, but it's hard to fill up in my town, and one fill cost me $30-40 for about 10 quarter mile runs. If you have the money, go ahead and get a KB. You might also consider the Paxton novi2000 or Vortech T-trim if you plan on boosting more in the future. If your a penny pincher like me, you can find super good deals on the forums. I would recommend a used setup, just because blowers are fairly cheap and easy to rebuild if for some reason they quite on you. Plus, most Vortech, Paxton, KB, and Procharger units are super reliable.