Suspension 2001 Gt conv

Morning all, I got an ‘01 gt convertible a few months back. I’m trying to find a lowering springs set, but it seems that most of not all I find won’t fit a convertible.

Is there a lowering kit that is someone has had success with that will fit a convertible?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I decided against lowering my 2000 GT convertible largely due to a very steep driveway approach...but I was seriously considering the Ford G springs that are specifically for convertibles. Link below.

As for the rest of a suspension "kit", I have Koni STR.T's, SR sway bars and shock tower braces, Southside Machine bolt in frame connectors and Maximum HD rear LCA with Ford replacements UCAs that are rubber bushed. All the body flex is gone...corners like a go-cart.

Last edited:
Dont get H&R Supersport verts. The front of my car was slammed and scraped. I still have them in the rear where they are fine. I put Roush springs up front and they are good.

Id try these. Reviews and pics are good. Meant for verts.

I would get these regardless of spring type. Your stock isolators will be trash. These may reduce the drop just slightly too.

If you dont have upgraded sway bars, just get these. The difference is amazing.

I originally installed H&R Supersports but as was said, the front ended up being too low. So I sold them and bought the Eibach Pro Kit. I really like the drop. I do scrape occasionally but mostly because I have a chin spoiler.

rMibHgqamIE-UA?width=1200&height=858&cropmode=none.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I no longer own the car, but here are a few comparison pics:

Stock:

i-TCvGkZz-L.jpg

Lowered on the Ford Racing G Springs. To me, it was the perfect amount of drop. I would occasionally scrape the lower chin spoiler, but only on really steep inclines.

i-RVh2zLt-L.jpg

i-Vq3jMmD-L.jpg
a

Reactions: 1 user
I no longer own the car, but here are a few comparison pics:

Lowered on the Ford Racing G Springs. To me, it was the perfect amount of drop. I would occasionally scrape the lower chin spoiler, but only on really steep inclines.

i-RVh2zLt-L.jpg

Old thread, but you may or may not respond here.

Looking into the "G" springs for my '00 Convertible. Not much out there for info on these, but I do like the spring rates. They are a little bit firmer than stock GT, but not ad firm as many aftermarket springs and bullitt/mach/cobra springs. I do like the ride height.

What shocks did you run with these? How was the ride overall?

COnsidering a set along with some Bilstiens.

Is it worth it to do a irs swap on my 2001 mustang gt? And what is a good kit that comes with all components neede? Only 22,000 miles!

There is no IRS kit. You'll need to track down a used IRS out of a 99-04 Mustang. Those are quite expensive these days selling for $1500-2000+. From there you can go through it and refresh the bushings and upgrade the gears if you want. Then, you'll need an IRS exhaust, and IRS specific springs and shocks.

It's not going to be a cheap upgrade. Ride quality will improve though, especially over bumps in turns.