Suspension advice needed

BMan5150

Founding Member
Feb 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
My daily driver 01 GT 5-speed seems to sway/axle hop worse than I ever could remember. I think the car has about 35 passes at the strip, 10 with Nitto DRs. I have Steeda Sport Springs and soon want to make the following changes to my rear suspension:

Energy Suspension poly control arm bushings (want these to raise the rear of the car a tad)

Rear Shocks

Steeda Aluminum non-adjustable LCAs (street/strip bushings)

My questions:

1.) When people talk about getting better weight transfer by using adjustable "drag" struts, are they only talking about the front struts? Or does the rear shock also factor into this equation?

2.) Depending on what the answer is to my question above, what do you recommend for a good matching rear shock to compliment my Steeda SPort springs?

3.) Anyone have instructions for installing LCAs? Mostly wondering if I really need to remove the exhaust to get to the rear LCA bolts.

4.) Do I/Should I replace my quad shocks? Perhaps these are the main reason for all the shimmy/sway?

Last bits of info that might help you help me. This car is driven year round in all types of weather and I do not want a loud ride with all sorts of road noise transmitting thru the cabin. I only make 10 passes a year with my car at the strip. Mostly, I'm looking for a far more compliant rear suspension that doesn't waddle/shake all over the place as much as it does right now.

Thank you very much for any advice/help you can give to me!

• Sponsors (?)

the LCAs will assist a bit on the traction, but the sport springs are causing you issues with the stock dampers.... best case scenario for you would be koni adjustables or tokico D-spec dampers. these will give you a wide range to "dial in" the best traction for drag launches then change them to more appropriate ride for street driving.

the quad shocks are a joke for the 99+ cars. best case would be to either get a panhard rod and torque arm or a trilink to better locate the axle.

there are a lot of factors that go into suspension, and i do not presume to know them all, but this is just a bit of what i can offer in advice.

Torinalth

BMan5150 said:
My daily driver 01 GT 5-speed seems to sway/axle hop worse than I ever could remember. I think the car has about 35 passes at the strip, 10 with Nitto DRs. I have Steeda Sport Springs and soon want to make the following changes to my rear suspension:

Energy Suspension poly control arm bushings (want these to raise the rear of the car a tad)

Rear Shocks

Steeda Aluminum non-adjustable LCAs (street/strip bushings)

My questions:

1.) When people talk about getting better weight transfer by using adjustable "drag" struts, are they only talking about the front struts? Or does the rear shock also factor into this equation?

2.) Depending on what the answer is to my question above, what do you recommend for a good matching rear shock to compliment my Steeda SPort springs?

3.) Anyone have instructions for installing LCAs? Mostly wondering if I really need to remove the exhaust to get to the rear LCA bolts.

4.) Do I/Should I replace my quad shocks? Perhaps these are the main reason for all the shimmy/sway?

Last bits of info that might help you help me. This car is driven year round in all types of weather and I do not want a loud ride with all sorts of road noise transmitting thru the cabin. I only make 10 passes a year with my car at the strip. Mostly, I'm looking for a far more compliant rear suspension that doesn't waddle/shake all over the place as much as it does right now.

Thank you very much for any advice/help you can give to me!

Check your rear Swaybar first, it is known to crack under load. If you want a drag setup, then get one. get some % drag shocks/struts, drag springs (not handling springs) and some LCA's that allow you to remove the quad shocks.

If you don't want the rear to wobble bad you can start by getting LCA's, UCA's (with rubber bushings) and a Cobra spec Rear Swaybar.