Suspension help wanted

HemiRick

I'd be looking at jacking under the house
Jun 28, 2020
Memphis TN
I need help deciding between Eibach Sportlines 2" drop springs and koni STR-T shocks stuts or Strange Engineering Complete Coilover Package 1979-2004 w 175 lb springs. I understand coilovers to be better....What rear shocks/springs would work w the Strange coil over package?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't be buying Sportline springs, I wouldn't even use them if you gave them to me for free.
Lowers the car excessively far and rides like crap.

You are also speaking two complete difference springs.
175lb springs in the front are nearly drag springs.
Sportlines are the exact opposite.

You need to decide what your goals are.

The lighter the front springs, the more they are for drag racing. 250lbs and up for handling.

With that said, strange isn't exactly a handling shock.
The konis would be good, or bilsteins.

Ive had a whole bunch of spring sets.
I'd skip straight to a set of h&r's.

Keep in mind there is more to it than just springs and shocks. #1 on the list has to be subframe connectors.
You also may need camber caster plates.

Yes I have all the chassis stiffening parts installed. I have a set of MM CC plates..The H&R springs only drop it an inch. I want a 2 in. drop. I can't afford good coilovers is what it boils down to. So I'm trying to do the best I can w shocks/struts, also w/o breaking the bank. I've read posts from people w all these parts that the Sportlines work. From what I've read about spring rates the Sportlines are very close to stock, and the Koni shocks are stiffer than stock. I also have a MM panhard bar, and a bunch of small stuff (bushings, etc) swapped.

Sounds like you have a lot of good parts already.

I've installed sportlines on a car before, I think you really need to be fully prepared for how low a 2 inch drop is.
All of your suspension travel will be gone.
Your H or X pipe will be dragging on anything and everything.
And lower doesn't mean handles better.

No clue what the spring rate on the sportlines is, but typically cheap aftermarket springs are just shorter and stiffer.
I swapped my rears out to h&r's and improved the ride quality 10 fold (they were saleen rear eibach springs).
I use MM coil overs in the front with koni's and a 275lb spring.

It's your car, do what you like.
But you have some good parts already and i'd continue with that trend instead of slapping sub par junk in there for an extra inch of lowering.
Personally, i'd call MM and use the set of H&R's they suggest, but that's me and i'm done doing things twice...

If you actually want to handle, you really want around a 1” drop. 2” is for looks and really puts the suspension geometry in a bad spot for performance driving.

id run a set of H&R springs from maximum motorsports (Call the up and get their recommendation) and a set of Bilstien HDs and call it a day.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
It's very easy to make these cars handle poorly by making them too low and too stiff. I made a video about mods that actually make these cars worse for autocross. There are a couple of segments in the video that will help you make the best decision about springs, shocks and struts, even for a car that's only street driven.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHK5vd7sRx0&t

There are other videos on my channel that show how good these cars can be without coil overs or aftermarket K-members. If you have any questions, please ask. I'm always happy to help.

Thanks for your reply yes I've watch most/many of your videos, I have both Sportlines and Pro kit springs coming so I can see which like best. I'm thinking w the smaller pony wheels/tires, the sportlines may work. Most everyone I know run 17x9's. My car currently looks like its ready to go off roading (2 inches from top of tire to fender flare), I want the top of the tires much closer to the fender flares.

Thanks for checking out my videos. I hope they are helpful.

My autocross cars do sit higher than most people would think is cool.

I do think the combination of Eibach Sportline springs and Koni STR-T shocks and struts will make the car oversteer and understeer at the limit (and the limit of traction will come sooner due to how low/stiff the suspension will be). For normal street driving this won't be as much of an issue. But, when you start pushing the car, you will expose the limits of the suspension.

I would suggest having poly spring isolators and Steeda Front Spring Spacers on hand. They are pretty inexpensive and they will give you some options for adding a bit of height to the front end if you need it.

Also, consider going with adjustable shocks and struts; they will help counteract some of the oversteer/understeer you will add by going really low. They are well worth the extra expense.

At this point its a stock 120K mile car, and is very tail happy, I'm afraid to add any more power to it, it's so tail happy. When it does get loose I invariably oversteer correcting and spin it the opposite direction it started. Did you miss where I also will have some Pro kit springs, if I dont like the sportlines. I also have gotten adj height MM rear control arms, panhard bar, and the MM upgraded upper arms, and the BMR axle bushings you mentioned.

I'm personally not sure why you really asked for advice.
You start out considering drag springs and shocks vs the worst lowering spring possibly ever made (maybe jamex is worse?).
Don't want to break the bank, yet you have 2 sets of springs on the way (front coil spring installation and realignment isn't something many of us want to do twice).
You have read sportlines work (no idea where you found someone with a panhard bar and sportlines).

Sounds like you were going to run the sportlines no matter what and you just came here so we could tell you it's a good idea...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
At this point its a stock 120K mile car, and is very tail happy, I'm afraid to add any more power to it, it's so tail happy. When it does get loose I invariably oversteer correcting and spin it the opposite direction it started. Did you miss where I also will have some Pro kit springs, if I dont like the sportlines. I also have gotten adj height MM rear control arms, panhard bar, and the MM upgraded upper arms, and the BMR axle bushings you mentioned.
tail happy?
120k and stock?
Don't want to add more power because you have trouble correcting a 'loose' condition?
I don't want to sound mean here but it sounds to me like you need to learn how to 'drive' your car before you add any power to it. :shrug:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I initially posted because I found the cheap Strange coil over kit and thought that might work for my application. Found out quickly thats not true. So moved on to discussing the current plan. I'm kind of amazed to hear the biggest name in lowering springs has such a bad rep. Guess I will see for myself. I got proline springs w the set of Konis and they only net cost about $100, and I can prob sell the extra spring set for $150. So it was a no brainer to try both.

I think the Pro Kit Springs would be the better option between the two choices you have. I suggested the poly isolators and the Spring Spacers to allow you to get somewhere between the two spring options.

If the car has an oversteer issue that isn't driver-induced, you need to ADD understeer to the car (bigger front sway bar, strut/shock adjustments).

But, stock, these cars have factory-installed understeer, so it is possible that your oversteer is driver-induced. Or, is a symptom of another issue (like old suspension parts).

It's always important to balance these cars out when modifying them. Adjustable shocks and struts help do that.

The STR-T struts will make the car worse when paired with the other mods you are using.

How is the car too tail happy that you end up over correcting the car when it has a panhard bar, control arms, bushings and subframe connectors?

Anyways the info these guys have shared with you is spot on.. Typically I would say that you would need to figure out a budget and what level of quality/performance you can reach with that budget but that all doesn't matter now given it seems you just want the lowered look. Which is fine it's your car and if your not curving around cones so be it. Since you've already ordered the parts swap them in and report back with your findings and what choice you went with

The car is not tail happy anymore w the MM control arms and panhard bar..And now when its does come loose it goes straight. Installed the sportline springs and am very happy w them, seems to ride much like stock just lower....still running the worn out 120K stock struts and shocks as the Konis haven't gotten here yet....The suspension in these cars is so stiff/has so little travel I can't really see how the struts shocks can make much diff. One of my front struts is completely dead and I never noticed driving the car....only after I took it off did I notice. Now that I know its dead driving the car still cant notice any difference to the side that works. Hence my conclusion that they can't do much working w so little travel.

Last edited: