Suspension mods...what do I need?

Well, right now I'm running BBK springs on factory everything else. I got a 1.5in drop from the springs, but I was wondering what I should and must to do get a better handling car. As for my driving, it never sees the track, but I like to take corners fast. My factory shocks and struts aren't dead yet, but I know they'll get there soon with the lowering springs.

I was considering Steeda or Ford Racing extended ball joints. I also considered a bump steer kit and maybe cc plates. They got me pretty close with the alignment, so I'm not having tire wear problems yet. What is actually needed? What compliments one another, and can either use one or would a combinaion of several be a better setup? I was thinking shocks/struts and X2 ball joints. All the ads say that a bump steer kit is recommended for people using cc plates and/or ball joints. I can't afford all of it at once; maybe shocks/struts and one of the other three. Should I just wait? Can I get away with just new extended ball joints or should I go with the bumpsteer kit instead.

• Sponsors (?)

SubFrame Connectors
Strut Tower Brace
G Trac Brace
CC plates
Front and Rear Sway Bars
Upgraded Struts and Shocks - Blistein, Tokico or whatever brand you prefer.

For better steering response:
Ball Joints
Bump Steer Kit.
Steering Rack bushings

my .02 would be research the weekness of the suspention a bit more as you have nothing to solve the issues with the rear of the car. lower control arms, subframes, panhard bar are all priotrity over what you posted IMO.

Are you getting bump steer? bump steer kit does not make the car handle better. the lower ball joints are not your problem right now. Is you car alined right now? if so CC plates are probably not even top priority.

I think you are trying to spend money in all the wrong places. If you don't fix the rear stability problems of the car you will never be able to corner hard as it will just slide out on you. all the stuff you posted adresses none of that issues.

I would really consider ditching the stock shocks and stuts and they are crap. IF you really research it there are logical progression to suspention. as you increase the handling abilty of a car you expose new weekness.

hognutz said:
my .02 would be research the weekness of the suspention a bit more as you have nothing to solve the issues with the rear of the car. lower control arms, subframes, panhard bar are all priotrity over what you posted IMO.

Are you getting bump steer? bump steer kit does not make the car handle better. the lower ball joints are not your problem right now. Is you car alined right now? if so CC plates are probably not even top priority.

I think you are trying to spend money in all the wrong places. If you don't fix the rear stability problems of the car you will never be able to corner hard as it will just slide out on you. all the stuff you posted adresses none of that issues.

I would really consider ditching the stock shocks and stuts and they are crap. IF you really research it there are logical progression to suspention. as you increase the handling abilty of a car you expose new weekness.

Great post - and he hit the biggest issue - the rear end. I'd do CC plates if you need em to get proper alignment (you probably will), and add better shocks / struts, subframe connectors, LCAs will also help. Then a torque arm bar will really help settle the rear end down. www.maximummotorsports.com has all you need.

BlueRuckus said:
SubFrame Connectors
Strut Tower Brace
G Trac Brace
CC plates
Front and Rear Sway Bars
Upgraded Struts and Shocks - Blistein, Tokico or whatever brand you prefer.

For better steering response:
Ball Joints
Bump Steer Kit.
Steering Rack bushings

STB-not needed for most, the front is stiff already
GTrac-not needed, 99 up already has one.
CC plates-yes, if you drop lower than 1"
F/R sway bars-not needed, one of the last things done if at all
Shocks/struts-yes, most definately. Your OEM stuff isn't built for what you want

All the other stuff is unnecessary.

To fix the rear end like hog said:
Subframe connectors
GOOD LCA's.
PHB
T/A if needed.
That is assuming you've already done the springs, shocks/struts and CC plates.

Good luck.

Look at MM's Sport Box. That might be a good place to start. Save your money until you can add matched parts to your suspension system. I run their "Launch box" and I have to say I am amazed. I recomend MM products wholeheartedly. They do what they say that they do, and fit like they are suposed to. They have also have excelent directions.

Thanks. I'll definitely start building up the rear. I haven't had any problems up front with the lowering yet, but I was just trying to be safe. I'll probably use the money I have now for some good shock/struts such as the Bilsteins. I looked at Tokicos, Koni, and KYB as well, but the general consenus is that Bilsteins are the way to go if the wallet lets you. Since it's lowered, should I go with some made for an 04, or get the ones made for the Fox body? I'll have to save some more cash and get the rear done all at once.

I had a question about subframe connectors. Since they weld in and I do not weld, what a good price to have that done? I'm stationed in a small town and I don't want to get screwed since I do not know any mechanics or welders here.

Lastly, I didn't know much about cars at all before I bought my Mustang. Thanks for all the replies and help. I have learned a lot from people just like you guys. I've posted a couple of pics in the talk section of the new lowered stance.

well most shops charge by the hour. there is 2-3 hour possibly in the MM subframes. I would just start calling around. anything up to $100 would be completely acceptable if you don't know anyone. if they have a shop rate of $60-$70 an hr it could go even higher like $180 or so and that is too much IMO.

it is not rocket science I would try to find a small shop with someone who know how to weld. they will ususually give you alot better deal.

drag0nfan's04GT said:
I'll probably use the money I have now for some good shock/struts such as the Bilsteins. I looked at Tokicos, Koni, and KYB as well, but the general consenus is that Bilsteins are the way to go if the wallet lets you. Since it's lowered, should I go with some made for an 04, or get the ones made for the Fox body?
Well, according to www.maximummotorsports.com, for the Tokico's they have sets for either a stock height or lowered (which is a combo of regular shocks and Fox struts). I'd guess you could apply the same logic to other brands. If you have any questions, call MM - they are great peeps to deal with.
drag0nfan's04GT said:
I had a question about subframe connectors. Since they weld in and I do not weld, what a good price to have that done? I'm stationed in a small town and I don't want to get screwed since I do not know any mechanics or welders here.
I paid $120 for my MM XL Full Length subs to be installed. Worth every penny. I'd expect to pay around $100 or so. If someone says they'll do it for $40, I'd find someone else. And if you go with the MMs, they require more welding than most others...but the payoff is worth it. They are very long and very strong.
Where do you live? Maybe someone here can help...
BEST OF LUCK!