Suspension Pop / TSB replacement question

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
Houston TX
Who here has an aftermarket suspension installed on their car and had the stock strut mounts fail but the dealership still went ahead and performed the TSB replacement under warranty?

Should I cheap out and do that or order the GT500 strut mounts while I'm at it and save myself the hassle? I am ordering the Roush Stage two struts/springs which is a mild drop and usually reuse the stock mounts.

• Sponsors (?)

Get the mounts fixed before you put in the roush struts. Technically they should still warranty it either way, but the issue would arrise that there is the chance of you damaging the strut mount when you put the new struts in, so they may play that card.

I thought of that but my mounts are fine. Can I still get the TSB performed even though my car does not exhibit the problem specified?

Almost sounds like I may just have to fork out the 70 bucks and get those in while the suspension is going in.

no, a TSB is not like a recall. Even if the problem is exibited, they still have to diagnose it as that. A TSB basically means that someone saw it as a common proble, so told the engineers, and tehy made a TSB, the purpose is for if you have an odd problem that is hard to diagnose, you look ub TSBs to see if anyone else figured it out already before you waste hours in diagnosis.

If the problem shows up later, there is a good chance they'd still fix it despite the aftermarket struts, but I can't promise that. Legally they have to prove that the problem was caused by the aftermarket componant, so they obviously couldn't say no to strut mounts when you have an aftermarket axleback, but it'd be pretty easy to claim that aftermarket struts caused strut mount failure, or that they were incorrectly installed, so it'd come down to how cool the dealer is and how slow they are I guess.

I haven't read this TSB so I'm not familiar with it, but if your car is fine now, I'd just leave it be. If a strut mount goes bad later, they aren't hard to replace in the event that the dealer says no. No sense in spending the money now if you don't want to, just to save 2 hours work that MIGHT or might not be needed who knows when.