Suspension setup opinions

Dothang67

May 9, 2006
I have been reading suspension posts and I have made a list of the parts I need to buy, but since im on a budget of $1,000; I would like to know which setup will make my car to feel more like a newer car (soft ride), its a 67 coupe, 289, daily driver.

-Both setups will include: $
Roller Spring perches 200
Roller Idler Arm 75
Progressive Coil Springs 160
Urethane Bushings 185
GR2 KYB rear shocks 50

option A will be with
1in front Sway Bar 90
4 or 4.5 Leaf Springs 200

OR

option B with
new Upper Control Arms 180
new Lower Control Arms 140 + '68 strut rods

It can be a combination of both, or adding/substracting parts; the thing is I dont really know how exactly each component will affect the ride quality.

I will appreciate your inputs, thanks

-Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

Check out www.opentrackerracing products.com
go to the suspention package and write john, he set me up with an entire package front and rear...was VERY helpful and VERY honest about what to buy and what not to waste money on...just my 2 cents.
Just looked at (acually read) your original post...hope I'm not preachin to the choir. I've gotta give john his due...he talked me out of his spendy roller upper arms cause for a street car he said I wouldn't see the difference. Not too often that honesty comes first and the almighty dollar takes a back seat in the vintage car industry. The man gets my vote for president!!!

If you want a softer ride i'd go with:

4 leafs
Roller spring perches
1" front sway bar
350-480 lbs progressive front coils
Roller idler arm
Edelbrock or KYB shocks on all 4 corners

I wouldn't bother with new control arms, you're factory ones will do just fine.

And definatly talk to opentracker, from what i've heard he sounds like a great guy to deal with.

opentracker is the man, he rocks and his parts roll (pun intended, LOL) i have a set of his roller perches and the quality and workmanship is first rate. i can't wait to get the car ready for the perches so i can abuse the crap out of them along with the rest of the car as well.:D

2bav8 said:
Do you have power steering?

no, i have manual steering.

i have checked opentrackers website, and indeed I planned to buy most of the parts there. i havent talk to him directly, but it seems he can guide me in the right direction. just need a few weeks to get the money together

Dothang67 said:
no, i have manual steering.

i have checked opentrackers website, and indeed I planned to buy most of the parts there. i havent talk to him directly, but it seems he can guide me in the right direction. just need a few weeks to get the money together

We do put together custom, one-off full kits (front and rear), I'll be glad to help. Send me an email at [email protected]

Ditto all accolades to opentracker. I bought some spring perches a few weeks back, and as time and money allow I plan to deal w/ him some more. He was very receptive when I e-mailed him and let me know that he is here to help. Big difference w/ him: I feel like he REALLY MEANS IT! In my brief interaction w/ him, I have been very impressed. Muchos kudos!

Thank you all very much. I like to help people put together kits for thier driving style and goals they have for thier car. No two kits I have helped people put together are the same. They are all custom one of a kind kits. Most of the time I can save people money by not buying the high dollar ORP or other aftermarket parts. It doesn't take a lot of money to make these cars handle well, be safe and be fun to drive, just a few well thought out pieces and a modest budget. If the budget is small, it can be done one piece at a time. Now, if you want to go fast on the track, we can help with that too, it just cost more.

John

Dothang67 said:
I would like to know which setup will make my car to feel more like a newer car (soft ride), its a 67 coupe, 289, daily driver.

To make it more like a new car, you need Subframe Connectors.
I installed the TCP Rack and coil-overs last winter, but it wasn't until I had driven the car for a week that I installed the subframe connectors, and that was when the big difference in car handling came. Subframe connectors is the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can do.

fvike said:
To make it more like a new car, you need Subframe Connectors.
I installed the TCP Rack and coil-overs last winter, but it wasn't until I had driven the car for a week that I installed the subframe connectors, and that was when the big difference in car handling came. Subframe connectors is the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can do.

:Word:

I've got a 73 with...

Front Coil Springs: 620lb
Front Sway Bar: 7/8"
Rear Leaf Springs: 4½-leaf Standard Eye
Rear Sway Bar: 3/4"
Shocks: Magna (Mustangs Plus)
TCP Subframe Connectors

It's a little rough of a ride since I dumped the 14 inch rims and went to 17s. The subframe connectors were the last thing I installed and they made a massive difference in the way my car road and handled. Felt like I had far more control over my stang after that.

Yeah I thought about the roller perches, but have never acted on them. Cost a lot and money is needed elsewhere. Particularly for a new steering gearbox. I got two reman ones from Advance Autoparts and they were total crap!! I should have kept my old one.