swap from auto to manual

• Sponsors (?)

First project I did with my most recent stang . Everything bolts in nicely . The most difficult part is moving the steering column up and out of the way to access the pedal assembly , which is not really hard just tedious . I found all my parts on E-bay . The only minor issue I remember running into was the top two bolts that hold the auto bellhousing to the block are longer than needed for the manual bellhousing . They are around a half inch too long . I made a spacer out of some washers....problem solved .

Yep,as stated above,it's worth it. I did the swap a couple of years ago in my Thunderbird (same as doing the Stangs),and it took 4 hours from start to finish,including a run to the hardware store for,as mentioned already,the shorter top two bell housing bolts. 60 cents later I was in business. It doesn't add any power,but,it allows a lot more to the wheels.Night and day difference from a stock type automatic to the 5 speed.Take your time,shop around on the forums and Ebay (and local salvage yards if you're lucky),and get everything you need,then go at it.I did what was mentioned above.I swapped the pedal assembly one day,then a week later I did the tranny swap.The pedals took me about an hour.I pulled the driver seat and column to speed things up a lot.

5 speed swap was the first thing i did to my car. never looked back lol u will deffinitly love the 5 speed alot more, its alot more fun to drive, and the install isnt to bad, just alittle time consuming if u work full time. deffinitly a fun build and will feel like a better car wen u do it. go for it.

if u got a fox get fox parts. i used sn95 parts because i got a donor car for free. so i had to use sn95 pedel assembly and some other things and the pedel assembly required some cutting and rewelding to get the job done. so if u got a fox get fox parts so the install will be an easier plug an play install

For me the hardest part was swapping the pedal box. That took longer than swapping the transmission.

One word of advice: rather than dropping the steering column, just pull the darned thing. It's only one more bolt and makes things SOOOO much easier.