Swapping engines, have questions.

DarkProphet

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2002
Quakertown, PA
Hey guys, im swapping the tired mill out for the new one, and have a few questions. Should I leave the headers attached to the hpipe and just disconnect them from the heads? or should i take them completely out? Also, should I just tie my powersteering up, or disconnect it? ive never swapped an engine out, but a few of my friends have, Im just prepping the car, so there isnt as much work to do when we finally rip it out. Im going to wait untill the engine is out to take the timing cover and water pump off for the new one. Thanks for any help you guys may have!

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to pull the motor with the shortys on. Swing the power steering and a/c out of the way. Disconnect all wiring and move it out of the way too. Label it if you're not sure where it goes.

i agree, just unbolt the ps and the a/c and just swing it out of the way. and labeling all your connections is a very smart move. if your going to be doing this over a course of a couple weeks than i would definetly label it all. good luck with the swap.

DarkProphet said:
Ive redone the headgaskets two times and the upper/lower 4 times, so i know where just about everything on the top side of the motor goes. Its kind of ridiculous actually. But im going to label just in case

Yea once u do it once or twice you realize that there isnt even THAT much stuff in there. Once you start putting it back together, each thing falls right into place.

Hey guys, I found out more about the engine. Its a 98 explorer block with the gt40x heads and b cam. How streetable is this cam? and is there any differences between the explorer engine and the mustang engine? Im mainly concerned about it being weaker, or having higher compression, because its going to get the blower on it too. Will my 36#ers be able to support the new engine and blower?

How much rwhp should this combo we worth with the 9#blower?

Thanks alot guys!

You mean Explorere Short block? Hyper pistons, so be careful with your tune. Other than that, it's the same.
The B cam is ok, I guess. I'd probably change it out for something else, myself.
Custom, or more computer friendly. I think the "e" cam is bigger.
The 36's will work, but I had to upgrade to 42's. I was out of injector. I should have bought bigger, but they were such a deal at the time.