Swirls and Scratch Removal on Original Paint

Harryjbrown

Feb 29, 2012
Hi All -

I am seeking some guidance. I have a '68 Mustang with what I believe is the original paint job. There is swirling and scratches (see pic #1 and #2 below). The car arrived two weeks ago and you can see that it needed to be cleaned (pic #3). I washed it (following the instructions in the detailing forum) and then when I was going to start detailing I got cold feet - was afraid I was going to damage the paint further. Has anyone had a paint job in this condition and if so, what did you do to clean it up? Are there any extra precautions one should take?

Thank you in advance.

Harry

Car scratches.jpg
more scratches.jpg
2012-02-06_14-24-17_204.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to tell. The pictures cannot be enlarged to determine what I'm seeing. It appears that you have "checking". ( it's similar to cracking, but is smaller)
You cannot do jack w/ paint that is showing it's age to the point of failure. You can buff it, and it will shine, but it will still show the checking that is evident on the trunk edge of the quarter.
Better pics would help to determine if the other is scratched, or suffering the same signs of age that the other pic shows.

Thanks Mike - I had a feeling there was something wrong. I have attached the same pics at a larger resolution. If they don't work, I will take new pics tomorrow in the sun light.

It's hard to tell. The pictures cannot be enlarged to determine what I'm seeing. It appears that you have "checking". ( it's similar to cracking, but is smaller)
You cannot do jack w/ paint that is showing it's age to the point of failure. You can buff it, and it will shine, but it will still show the checking that is evident on the trunk edge of the quarter.
Better pics would help to determine if the other is scratched, or suffering the same signs of age that the other pic shows.

Attachments

• 50 percent panel.jpg
    50 percent panel.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 50 percent trunk.jpg
    50 percent trunk.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 171
Thanks Mike - I had a feeling there was something wrong. I have attached the same pics at a larger resolution. If they don't work, I will take new pics tomorrow in the sun light.
Pic #1 is checking. Age related. Trunk shot is still too ambiguous to tell, but it looks like the same.

No real solution for that except to strip it when the time to repaint comes.