T-5 Drain Plug Replacement

Martman

Jun 20, 2016
Louisville, KY
My drain plug is leaking but I think I forgot to put thread tape on it when I rebuilt the trans. Regardless the 3/8 socket insert is damaged due to me having hell getting it out. I have been told it is 1/2 npt. Do they seel these at local auto parts like AZ or Oreilly's? Can you get one from some place like Home Depot? Otherwise where is the best place to order one? I have searched on ebay but I can't get confirmation they are for the t-5 world class. I have seen several for the t56 but not sure if they will work.

• Sponsors (?)

My drain plug is leaking but I think I forgot to put thread tape on it when I rebuilt the trans. Regardless the 3/8 socket insert is damaged due to me having hell getting it out. I have been told it is 1/2 npt. Do they seel these at local auto parts like AZ or Oreilly's? Can you get one from some place like Home Depot? Otherwise where is the best place to order one? I have searched on ebay but I can't get confirmation they are for the t-5 world class. I have seen several for the t56 but not sure if they will work.
Any plug having 1/2" - NPT (National Pipe Threads) size should do the job. Available at almost any hardware store. Might have a square hex head, or indented hex pocket intended for a hex key. Either are fine. Wrap a few turns of Teflon tape around the plug's threads, pulled tight, and yer in business. imp

A word of caution, the plug will be a different metal than the transmission, when imp says 'pull it tight' he does not mean ' tight' like a header bolt, snug would be a better term, there is very little to no case pressure inside and the differences in metal expansion will be different and can make it difficult to take out, I use thread locker but Teflon works just as good, I like liquid teflon.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds great and thanks for the confirmation on this stuff. I got a new brass plug from the local hardware similar to the link above. I will be using some liquid teflon. And I can honestly say I never did get the fill plug out even when I had the thing tore down to rebuild. So I just fill through shifter. I used heat cold cycles and everything and just got to the point I didn't want to damage the case. Thank goodness I got the drain plug out.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll want to get the fill plug out eventually to check fluid level in case of small leaks. One of the biggest issues with t5s is if the fluid level drops too low it starves the mainshaft pocket bearings of fluid and galls the Mainshaft.

This makes the t5 whine, and since so many do this, most think it's normal. So you'll need to stay on top of the fluid level by piling the fill plug out and checking, or just drain the whole thing and dump 2.8 quarts in. Cheap ebough

Oh the wonderful whine. I just rebuilt mine this last winter (no whine at all now). You can see my posts on here where the main shaft was okay but the input shaft gear and cluster gear were really bad. I will be draining and refilling to make sure it is where it needs to be when I put this new drain bolt in.

A word of caution, the plug will be a different metal than the transmission, when imp says 'pull it tight' he does not mean ' tight' like a header bolt, snug would be a better term, there is very little to no case pressure inside and the differences in metal expansion will be different and can make it difficult to take out, I use thread locker but Teflon works just as good, I like liquid teflon.

Jeez, after that required course in Technical English, I would have thought it was obvious I said "pull the Teflon tape tight", meaning, so it adheres to the threads nice and cleanly. imp

Jeez, after that required course in Technical English, I would have thought it was obvious I said "pull the Teflon tape tight", meaning, so it adheres to the threads nice and cleanly. imp
Nope, I read it as you where talking about tightening the plug, not the Teflon tape, sorry your confused
Of maybe it's me
Could be me
Probably, no, difenitly me :runaway: