Drivetrain T45 1st to 2nd grinding

Krysage

Nov 9, 2020
Ohio
I recently had a remanufactured t45 transmission from xtreme performance put into my 2000 Mustang GT. I also have a new stage 2 Kevlar clutch kit installed as well. The problem is my transmission grinds from 1-2 and 3-2. If I’m slow and really gentle it’ll go into second from first without grinding but won’t downshift and I don’t wanna force it. My best guess is maybe the slave cylinder wasn’t bled right

• Sponsors (?)

You're probably on the right track, as clutch adjustment would make sense, but unless you're running an aftermarket clutch setup, these cars run a cable operated clutch; there is no slave cylinder or hydraulics.

Assuming a stock configuration, look at the quadrant/adjustment mechanism under the dash (between the brake and throttle connected to the clutch pedal by a rod), the clutch fork/pivot or the clutch cable itself. Any of those could cause something like this.

I am shopping for a T45 and found this post about your xtreme performance trans. They still seem to be about the cheapest option out there and wanted to ask if you would recommend them. My reverse is hard to get in to so I assume the shift fork is bent. Just hoping to get an informed opinion. Thanks,
Shawn (Central OH, just N. of Columbus)

I am shopping for a T45 and found this post about your xtreme performance trans. They still seem to be about the cheapest option out there and wanted to ask if you would recommend them. My reverse is hard to get in to so I assume the shift fork is bent. Just hoping to get an informed opinion. Thanks,
Shawn (Central OH, just N. of Columbus)
Unfortunately I don’t recommend them, I’m not sure if I just had bad luck or not but the t45 they sent me was bad from the start, eventually I had to get it rebuild 2 months after the install, my mechanic said the trans had water in it and most the gears were rusty and it genuinely looked like a junkyard pull with no work done to it. As to your problem my only suggestion is try going through the gears before trying in reverse, mine does the same thing. Just seems to be a problem with these transmissions

Thanks for the feedback.

Did they give you any kind of refund or anything? I finally found a local rebuilder that will do it for $500 + parts. I'll probably go that route. I just don't like the downtime while he will be waiting on parts, or the possibility that he says "I can't get the parts anymore" and my ride is down for a few months. I'll probably wait until winter when I don't drive it anyway.

I am able to drive the car knowing some tricks to get it into reverse, but I bought it to teach the kids how to drive a stick and I kind of need it to work correctly for them to learn on. If it is too difficult, it won't be "fun" and they won't really find that driving a stick can be enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback.

Did they give you any kind of refund or anything? I finally found a local rebuilder that will do it for $500 + parts. I'll probably go that route. I just don't like the downtime while he will be waiting on parts, or the possibility that he says "I can't get the parts anymore" and my ride is down for a few months. I'll probably wait until winter when I don't drive it anyway.

I am able to drive the car knowing some tricks to get it into reverse, but I bought it to teach the kids how to drive a stick and I kind of need it to work correctly for them to learn on. If it is too difficult, it won't be "fun" and they won't really find that driving a stick can be enjoyable.
Personally, if it’s a reputable shop I’d have them rebuild it, sometimes the reverse on the t45 is just a little “moody” I don’t really have any other way to explain it i do know that since the reverse isn’t a synchronized gear you do need to be completely stoped but I’m sure you’ve been doing that.