T5 1st gear Ratios- 3.35 or 2.95 ?

• Sponsors (?)

theres a viper t56 on ebay that is made to accept the ford 4spd toploader bellhousing to hook up to well, use your imagination. It had a 0.50 6th gear :D you could run 4.11's and still have an awesome 6th gear for cruising. It was $2500 shipped.

65fastback2+2 said:
theres a viper t56 on ebay that is made to accept the ford 4spd toploader bellhousing to hook up to well, use your imagination. It had a 0.50 6th gear :D you could run 4.11's and still have an awesome 6th gear for cruising. It was $2500 shipped.
You should check if another drive shaft or any other parts are needed. Instead of buying from ebay, check out ddperformance.com. Seem to have a very good rep. They sell T56's. Very informative website. Also compare shipping costs.

I ordered my g-force tranny last week, I was told there is a 2 to 3 week wait. Guys seemed nice and I've heard overall very positive things about their product.

I've been nursing my beat up t5 for over a year now. I'll be sure and post my gforce experience shortly

The 2.95 1st gear will also allow a steeper gear in the rear like 3.73.

Any 4 speed top loader from the early cars will be inherently stronger than a T5. A Top loader weighs about 125 LBS. That is allot of material to work with. A T5 is approx. 75 LBS. and they have smaller (In thickness) gears.

Now a T5 is lighter and easier to install on your back. Has tons of machining refinements and most of all overdrive.

I have 410 gears and 1st is really tall. I think I have 3.35 first gear. I am looking into changing it to 2.95.

...nobody has answered his Q on what power the toploader will hold? as i am uncertian on the specific #s as well, im just trying to give him an idea from what ive been told.

There are a mass amt of ppl on these boards who run 3550s and TKOs(woulda been a better example) and there #s will likely give him a better idea... and since ppl run 400-500rwhp under their 3550 with no problems then id hope he'd feel confident that he has room to grow.

i ran a toploader in my 65 until it came out for a tremec so im aware of the differences

A toploader can be good to about 600hp motor HP. The weak spots of the small block toploader are the 1 1/16" input shaft and the 28 spline output shaft. Replace the input with an aftermarket 1 3/8" shaft (SBF lenght) and a BBF 31 spline output shaft (like found in a BBF) and you will have one extremely tough transmission. This is because the strength of the rest of the transmission is the same whether BB or SB as they use the same parts.

I drag race tested this combo with my car with a 427W in a 3550hp race weight (with the mods above) and also found that that was the limited. Prior to that I had twisted SBF input shafts behind a 393W with around 500hp. Swapping to the 1 3/8" input took care of that issue. Before that I could twist one at each race outing . . . .