T5 2nd to 3rd issue

Snikt89GT

Sep 6, 2006
Deland, Florida
Hey guys -- It seems like the first time I go to shift into 3rd gear from 2nd when the car is cold, it grinds into gear. It's only the first time, and it's only when it's cold. This is a weekend car, so I usually only drive it once a week or so.

After the shift that grinds all other shifting is fine, no other indication of any problems.

Any idea what could be going on? Stock T5 with Pro 5.0 shifter

• Sponsors (?)

3rd gear syncro is going out. Avoid griding the gears at all costs. Grinding wears down the dog teeth and you'll end up needing a new third gears if it grinds too much. You could try a fluid change but a rebuild is most likely in order.

the synchronizer or 3rd gear blocker is probably starting to wear. its a common problem with all mustangs when they are modified and driven spiritedly. just drive it and take care of it as long as its not doing it all the time, and when it gets worse or other gears start doing it, when it gets bad plan on getting a rebuild.

If it's going out though why would it only do it when cold?

I was going to try to change the fluid but I haven't figured out an easy way to change the fluid yet. What's the easiest way to get fluid up into the fill hole? The guys are the parts store are clueless.

I was eventually going to just buy a new T5-z from summit down the road, but maybe i'll have to move that up a bit.

My t5 does the same exact thing, so I just shift it very slowly into 3rd for the first couple shifts to keep it from grinding. After that it's mint. It only has 42k miles on it, but it gets poweshifted regularly, so it might not last much longer. You can probably use a cheap manual pump to get the fluid in. I bought one at napa to do my rearend fluid, it was $12. Definitely a lot easier than pulling that stupid shifter off.