T5 Problems...Reverse and 5th...help plz!!!!

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
OK, so I've been having a lot of vibration through my T5...bolts vibrate lose in my Pro 5.0 all the time. Anyway, for w/e reason, I decided to drop the clutch in reverse the other day...car wheel hopped bad, but trans was OK. Then the next day I'm pulling into work, throw it in reverse, slip the clutch and it just grinds and won't move. I couldn't get it out of gear until I turned the car off. Tried again, and same thing happened, I could get it into reverse, but no motion whatsoever. I was able to get it into 5th for a few days after (it felt sloppy going into 5th, kinda like it wasn't getting in all teh way). Occasionally it would pop out...and anytime, it was very difficult to get out of gear. Now it doesn't even go into 5th without popping out. What happened? My friend said one of the bolts could've slipped out of the linkage or w/e, but I don't know much about transmissions. What could the problem be? It also seems now that I'm getting some chatter from that area, a lil before I lost reverse.

Edit...ignore sig...I have a blown 95GT.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you blew the trans. T5's are like russian rullett. Everytime you drive or drive hard you're rolling the dice. Looks like you rolled snake eyes my friend! Get a Tremec and call it a day!

my reverse is kinda tricky to get into sometimes. i found that if i put it in 1st and roll forward a tiny bit i can quickly put it over into reverse with no problem. maybe give that a try

Don't have money for a tremec right now or I'd get a T56. I know a T5 can't come close to handle the torque I'm making, but I guess I'm just gonna have to save for a rebuild. I can get everything done for $400.

urban96 said:
my reverse is kinda tricky to get into sometimes. i found that if i put it in 1st and roll forward a tiny bit i can quickly put it over into reverse with no problem. maybe give that a try

Actually, you don't even have to roll forward, just put it in first then you can immediately put it in reverse. This is a habit for me, I even do it in cars that don't really require it!

GToddyT5 said:
Don't have money for a tremec right now or I'd get a T56. I know a T5 can't come close to handle the torque I'm making, but I guess I'm just gonna have to save for a rebuild. I can get everything done for $400.

My brother recently picked up a Tremec T5 on Ebay for 400.00! It was almost brand new. Maybe try that, the Tremec T5's are supposed to be alot stronger. He did get lucky finding one for 94/95 though.

Sounds like a bent shift fork and/or damaged syncros in the tailshaft section, where the reverse and 5th gear are housed. Check the linkage for any loose bolts first, but if it looks nice and tight, then likely you will have to pull the tailshaft housing and see whats busted.