t5 swap questions-wiring

egnorant

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Deep East Texas
Yes I did a search.
I piled into my swap this evening and have a few questions.
I heard of a transmission harness that is needed.
Where does this harness hook up?
All the sites I checked kinda gloss over this saying "install transmission harness".
There are a few cars in the local Pick-N-Pull that might have this harness, but I don't know where to look!!
Also, I found the plugs for the pedal assy...but there are 2 of them. One appears to be the neutral saftey switch...what is the other for? Both have a place to plug into the new pedal assy.
What is the wire on the passenger side of the pedal assy? Goes to a plunger type switch above the brake pedal (but its operated by the clutch)?
Last question..There is one plug that physically attaches to the pedal assy with one of those plastic push holders. I don't recall unplugging it from the auto assy, but I unplugged a lot of stuff. A tedious search found not loose plug that matched it. Anyone have a clue what this is for?
Please help me!!
Bruce (TX)
P.S. This is in a 91 convertible 2.3...just a nice cruisin car!

• Sponsors (?)

I just did this on my '91 not too long ago. So here goes.

The harness that's mentioned in the swap articles is the back up light/neutral safety switch harness. You can either get one from a T5 car or do like I did and modify the A4LD harness to work. You must do one or the other or the car won't start(Ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) I don't remember the wiring arrangement. There are four wires in the car side of the harness. Two of them were used for the neutral safety switch and the other two were for the reverse lights. I used a paper clip jumper to find which pair did what.

Only one of those plugs will work in the clutch safety switch. It's the one with the jumper plugged into it. The plunger switch on the opposite side (kinda mushroom shaped at the top) is for the cruise control. If you push in the clutch while the cruise control is on it kills the CC, just as if you'd hit the brakes.

I don't think I can help you with the last question. I don't recall anything that fits that description. I keep thinking of the vacuum switch that works off of the brake pedal, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I've slept and drank beer since I did the swap so my memory is a little corrupt. Can you take a pic and post it?

If you want details of the reverse light wiring mod, I'll crawl under the car and double check the wire colors and post what's what.

EDIT: To answer your second post. No you don't need it. Toss it. It's the cable that works the mechanism that won't let you take the keys out if the automatic shifter is in any gear but park.

Just cut the two-wire backup light harness from a junkyard car and match the colors to the four-wire harness on your car. The two that match need to be spliced - the others can be cut off.

Brian

O.K. I feel stupid!

Gotta quit relying on the computer. This morning I realized that I have this harness. And I have 2 cars that have it on the car!! Why didn't I just carry my butt out to look? I will leave the name calling to all you kind folks.
More silly questions later!
Bruce (TX)

the plug to the trans goes under the carpet and pluges inall you have to do is move the carpet from the driver floor and you will see it runing from the trans and there is a plug the wire is not but about 2' long it is better then cutting the wire and then having water to get into it

The plug for mine was actually under the car held in by one of those black plastic push clips. I don't know if it varies from model year to model year, but I looked under the carpet when I did mine and didn't see it, but I did find what I was looking for under the car on the driver's side on the side wall of the trans tunnel. If you make your wire splices correctly (i.e. heat shrink tubing and no blue crimp connectors), water's not an issue. :D

Hmmmm

The trannys that I have came with a small harness on them, 2 wires on the tranny plug and 4 wires on a plug. 2 of the wires on the plug are jumpered together. The harness under the drivers sear goes to a similar plug(4 wire) that went to the A4LD. These are all 1991 parts and car. An earlier harness from under the seat of an 87 is all one piece clear to the tranny. ALL my tracing and checking indicates that the auto underseat harness from the 91 auto is just plug and play
with this small (1 foot) harness on the tranny!
Am I delirious or just hoping? I will be able to drop it and check tomorrow some time so I am expecting it not to work.
Bruce

I need to know where this goes
13480k.jpg

my friend was the one who took the pedals out of the Stang and I never got to see where it went.

Thanks
Dan

Dan P. said:
I need to know where this goes
13480k.jpg

my friend was the one who took the pedals out of the Stang and I never got to see where it went.

Thanks
Dan
its the brake light switch, It goes over a shaft on the top of the brake pedal. Sould be identical to the one that currently is on your automatic pedal set.

Dr.