T5 transmission question

Dreamevil01

Sep 19, 2020
Nebraska
Okay guys, I just installed a new throw out bearing for my clutch and now come to find out after I have been driving it for a week the clutch fork I believe came off of the pivot ball. When I installed it was kind of b!@ch to slide the pivot ball but I thought I got on and yes I headed both parts. My thinking is I need to replace both the fork and the pivot ball. Here is my question.. Can I take off the old pivot ball and install the new one without taking the bell housing off?

I mean you could, but it's a tight squeeze to get your hand and wrench in there. I have an engine with a bell on a stand and I tried to get my hand in and couldn't. It was close.

I mean you could, but it's a tight squeeze to get your hand and wrench in there. I have an engine with a bell on a stand and I tried to get my hand in and couldn't. It was close.
The only reason I'm asking is just saving time. This time around I don't even think I'm going to take the exhaust off just because I kept seeing things online that you have to take it off but when I look it looks like the transmission can come off without taking the exhaust off. I'm not too worried about getting a wrench or my hand I'm just worried about the clearance between the pivot ball and pressure plate.

Not sure your getting this out without removing the bell. Obviously there are differences between the 3.8 and a 302, buy it looks like the pivot would hit the pressure plate as it backs out.

I also couldn’t get my wrench on it. Would need to cut a wrench down to use on the pivot.

Wow that does look really close . Well if I have to take the housing off then that's what I will do. I know I also have to get the back of the engine where the o2 sensor connection is. It needs to be replaced. Thanks for the pics, wish I had a 5.0.