T56 Transmission

352Ford2

Oct 12, 2005
Seattle,WA
I am threatening to put a cobra trans T56 into a car that needs a mechanical speedo (67 cougar). From what I can tell to you can pay someone 300 bucks to convert it for you, but I hate paying someone good cash when I can do it myself.

Anyone done this? Parts needed and where to get them? Cost? Etc?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have the T56 and that is the last hurdle that I will have to clear myself. On mine there is a place for a speedo gear so its possible that you can get one thats non electrical like mine.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/scatpro/Cams toys/?action=view&current=CIMG2199.jpg

Yeah, you got it easy:D , longer speedo cable is I think all you need.

Does anyone have the exploded diagram of both a mechanical speedo version and electric speedo version; I bet I could figure it out from that. I just have this feeling it’s a real easy switchover.

I guess I could go with an electric speedo, I would rather spend money on new gauges than pay labor to someone.

I have the T56 and that is the last hurdle that I will have to clear myself. On mine there is a place for a speedo gear so its possible that you can get one thats non electrical like mine.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/scatpro/Cams toys/?action=view&current=CIMG2199.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but...you guys going with the T56, any tips for the tunnel mod, and where do you guys get all the stuff for the conversion, do you peice it out, or order a kit from like darkhorseperformance?

Best thing to do is get the engine and tranny first, hook em up and drop them in and see where the problems are. I have only found one kit for the tunnel mod and i cant remember where that was, but it is not too hard of a mod if you have a minimal amount of sheet metal experiance.

Sorry guys I have been trying to respond but changing my email addy had me locked out? Anyway the best thing to do is call Darkhorse and talk to him and then order his crossmember and tunnel kit. As for the comparrison to the C6 I dont know but would have to guess that this T56 is Much taller. Look at the attached pic and notice the height of the t56 where it bolts to the bellhousing as its much taller. If I can help you further let me know. I am waiting on my GT 40 heads to sell on ebay so I can order some aluminum heads or I'd be driving it today!

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/scatpro/Cams toys/?action=view&current=CIMG2169.jpg

Glen do they still do Tomball night?

I was lucky in that I had a t56 that I was able to take out of the crate to measure all possible sticking points before I bought it. I used an older style bellhousing which we had to redrill the mounting bolts but after that it bolts right up and the shaft length was perfect. I wish I had better pics of all of this but they were stolen along with my old computer but if I can help you in any way let me know.

View attachment 410697

I was lucky in that I had a t56 that I was able to take out of the crate to measure all possible sticking points before I bought it. I used an older style bellhousing which we had to redrill the mounting bolts but after that it bolts right up and the shaft length was perfect. I wish I had better pics of all of this but they were stolen along with my old computer but if I can help you in any way let me know.

View attachment 410537

I used the two hole on the side of the input shaft to bolt a T5 bearing retainer to. It was spaced out about one inch. The other two holes on the bearing retainer have bolts threaded into the spacer. It lined up behind the T5 bell nicely, also drilled new holes and mounted it. Great minds think alike.