Engine Tach Bounce 1989 Mustang GT

N8ight

Aug 11, 2023
RI
Hello,

Recently switched out my old cap and rotor to an MSD replacement for the factory distributer. Now my tach bounces all over the place. I put the old one back on and it goes away. The car seems to run fine ether way. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated .

• Sponsors (?)

Its kind of all over. At start up and idle it seems fine once you get in the throttle it seems to struggle to get over 3500 when i know I'm closer to 4500 based on gear and speed. As it struggles to go higher it bounces between 1500 and 3500. When i excel slowly it has a small bounce but still noticeable and gets more aratic at higher rpm .

I would say that those parts are most likely way out of spec in the gap between the rotor tip and the contacts in the cap. Unfortunately MSD’s quality has taken a hit over the past years.

Cap, rotor, and coil wise you are far better off with Standard Ignition and Motorcraft parts like:

Coil:
Motorcraft Ignition Coil - DG470
Standard Ignition Blue Streak Ignition Coil - FD478

Cap:
Motorcraft Distributor Cap - DH411B
Standard Ignition Blue Streak Distributor Cap - FD168

Rotor:
Motorcraft Distributor Rotor - DR374B
Standard Ignition Blue Streak Distributor Rotor - FD307

For plug wires I just run the Motorsport 9mm. You can get better ones but they are twice to three times the cost and I’m not going to gain much for the additional cost. For reference I am referring to the likes of Firecore:

For plugs just run Motorcraft copper core units. I run Motorcraft copper core plugs on my 331 and my 351 with zero issues.

Last edited:
The MSD 6AL in both of my cars are 20+ years old and the TFI coils are 10-15 years old. The MSD distributor in the T-Bird is about 10 years old but that car is carbureted. With all of that I haven’t had a failure and I think where their failures are are the TFI distributors but if you put a Ford TFI, PIP, rotor, and cap on their distributor body it works really well…sad.

Their caps, rotors, and coils are highly counterfeited so that’s another problem.

That's what my thoughts are at this point. I thank everyone for your input and advice. I am going to get the Ford/Motorcraft parts ordered. I will update when the parts are installed .
Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user