Tailpipe alignment problems

May 12, 2018
mass
Hopefully you guys can help,I installed new bbk shorty headers,bbk h-pipe with flowmaster mufflers on my 89 lx vert. My problem is getting the tailpipes the same on both sides. I'm kinda anal on having the pipes even up and down and left to right.drivers side went right in and looks perfect! Passenger side was a pain! Only way it looks right is with the axle bend up against the frame. If I pull the pipe away from the frame the exhaust top is literally under the bumper. Anyone else have this problem? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It takes some time, a little tweak here and there. I’m anal like that too. I got my pipes lined up on my LX without a muffler shop. Maybe you do if your having issues like that. Somethings wrong.

The flowmaster 3" pipes I bought did that. I had to cut the metal hanger on the tip and reweld it at a different length.

Another suggestion would be to go to an auto parts store and check out the rubber hangers. They come in different shapes and sizes, so maybe grab one that is a little longer to allow the pipe to hang down a touch more.

Off hand can't remember where the flowmaster tailpipe connection is. It's been years since I had a flowmaster setup on any of my cars but with my mac catback it is just over the rear end. So in my case I would usually put a jack under the muffler. Loosen the bolts that connect that muffler to the xpipe enough so that I can jack the muffler up a little. This changes the adjustment range I have to play with at the tailpipe end. So from there I loosen the muffler to tailpipe bolts enough so I can move the tailpipe to where I want it. Tighten down all connections and move on to the other muffler.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the same setup for a GT with turndowns. I hit a water main cover when a road was under construction which knocked the slip connector off the passenger side h-pipe to the cat back. I reconnected and now the muffler is banging off the sub frame connectors. The noise is unbearable. Going to be my weekend project.

I don't miss those days of misaligned tailpipes driving me nuts. I've spent many hours under my car twisting and trying different length exhaust hangers. Finall got it right and I refuse to ever change my exhaust because of it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
i have the same problem with a pype violator setup I have with 3" tips. passenger side muffler tip sits just past the bumper while driver side is tucked nicely under it. I hate it. ill have to re-adjust it again.

Attachments

• 549A9906-301C-4C5B-82AC-DFF2AE9937A2.jpeg
    549A9906-301C-4C5B-82AC-DFF2AE9937A2.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 245