taking out stock h pipe....

ok....hers my plan....bbk shorties w/ flowtech o/r h pipe to go with the flowmaster american thunder cat back i have now....the only pro is i wanna b able to take out the o/r h for emissions and swap in the stock h.....its it a pain in the ass to get at the bolts connecting the shorties to the h pipe apart? also JEGS sells Dynomax "super converter" hi flow cats.....how much sound will i lose if i put them on the flowtech h?

also any shorty/h pipe(or x if u think its better) combos that are better than i mentioned?
 
matthiasj said:
if you have high flow cats your gonna lose little to no sound or power.

I disagree, I swapped out a high flow catted H pipe with an o/r X pipe this summer and both myself and my friend who helped me with it both noticed SOTP difference after driving.

Maybe this is because the X gives a couple more ponies? Regardless, I feel there definately is a difference.

And yes, the header to midpipe bolts are a pain, I strongly recommend some airtools and a ratchet extension.

Every night for a couple nights before you do the install, take a hammer and hit the 4 header-midpipe flange bolts flat on to loosen up the connection. After that, liberally soak all 4 bolts with liquid wrench or some other such penentrating oil.

That should really help you out when you're under your car swearing like crazy!
 
I have done the swap for smog so many times that it takes longer to put the car on jacks than it does to r/r the mid pipe. Just keep the bolts clean, the more you swap out the parts, the easier it will get. I am just waiting for my smog card here in IL so I can thow in my prochamber. An impact wrench always helps too but I have done extentions and cheater bar to loosen factory tightened bolts just so I don't snap the bolt. Penetrating lube always helps (PB Blaster is great) and will get the factory mounted, rusted bolts off.
 
Catter mid-pipes will sound quieter than their o/r versions, without a doubt.

For easy removal, rent the "O2 removal tool" from autozone. It helps get the O2's loose.

You don't need any swivels. As a matter of fact, do not use them. They just get in the way. If you remove the O2's first, it's easy to get too them.

Secondly, I would recommend replacing the studs with stainless steel ones. The stock ones rust & corrode, and they become a nightmare later on.

You can get replacements at Merle's. I don't know if their's are stainless steel though.

Replace the bolts that attach the mid-pipe to the cat-back with bolts and nuts. That way, you can replace them every year & never have any problems.
Scott