tales of woe...

Orange...

Aug 22, 2004
SASKATOON
well the car went to the tranny shop. It was worse then I expected. I guess the previous owner had "installed" 3:73's... every bolt was loose or sheered off when the case was opened. The ring gear was held on by 2 bolts. all the bearings were trash. There were a few large gouges out of the case, but none through. There were chunks of pinion and posi all over. I needed to replace everything. All the parts came out to about $1100 : $300 4:10's, $400 auburn 31 spline posi were the main things. and labour was about $450 (which sucks cause I can easily do this, but I can't get time off work cause everyone is on vacation now...

I took it out to make sure there is no issues and it's all good, no whine or anything.:D :D :D

BUT...

The clutch cable firewall hookup part broke (the two screws... one of them broke off) so it's mighty tough to shift now. I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a stock replacement for $130 cause I need one tomorrow, and that is all that will be in the city. :notnice: :nonono: :notnice: :notnice: :nonono:

In short I'm extremely happy with Extreme Transmission's work. I highly reccomend them.

I hope you enjoyed my story.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I went through and checked on the clutch/flywheel, and things are good there, he probably got that done at a shop.

Clutch cable will be here tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm getting the hang of driving "speed-shifting" I think it's called.. :) It's a very interesting concept. I only leaned of it yesterday from a co-worker.

I hope this is the end of my car woes...

Well interesting things happened. I went to replace the cable and noticed it was a bit different then the one that I just bought. The new one was tight as heck and I only had about 3mm of actual useable clutch... so I started looking around more and saw a couple of goodies. Steeda Quadrant and Steeda adjustable clutch cable... not too bad I guess.... saved me $130.00

Stupid me... the cable nut basically just backed itself off, and thats why shifting suddenly got stupidly tough. I fixed it and now it feels better then it did when I got the car.

I also whooped a Fobra (GT with 4:10's, and cams as the major mods), and a paxton 5.0L on the way home.... good times. Oh and there was some 1994 ish 300TT and a RX7 from the late 90's but those 2 don't count.