Talk me out of it…. Somehow!?

Good afternoon everyone!

I’m new to the mustang ownership side of the house. I just picked up a nearly all original 89 lx 5.0 AOD.

SO FAR, I’ve diagnosed and fixed the water pump, traced down the reason for the cruise control not working and have figured out why the map light wasn’t working. Still have some things on my plate and am pretty satisfied with her.

The only thing I’m not in love with are the rims and the ride height. I have my eyes on the Cobra rims with some low pros. My hope is this will clean up some of the look. I don’t want to mess with the way it rides but I want a slightly lower stance. Please talk me out of lowering her.

I’ve had some lowered cars in the past and always hated the ride. Is it even possible to salvage some ride quality for the look?

Attachments

• 1D98FF2E-9B64-4EC9-99D2-20BE35DD47F2.jpeg
    1D98FF2E-9B64-4EC9-99D2-20BE35DD47F2.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 62
  • EE5AC44D-5DFC-46CE-B461-3A9D9173180A.jpeg
    EE5AC44D-5DFC-46CE-B461-3A9D9173180A.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ride quality is most influenced by the shocks/struts. Get some H&R springs and a great quality shock and strut. Preferably adjustable so that the ride quality can be tailored to your liking.

You've come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of a modification. :D Ride is generally sacrificed by stance but you can ease the reduced ride. It just costs a little more.

Reactions: 1 user
Maximum Motorsports website has a complete write up about the Mustang chassis tuning. Go to MM site, click on FAQ's & tech tips, then Getting Started. I read through this list a few times, but it gives you info on how you can set up what you want to do. The tech sections should be gone over also. It is quite a bit to read, even re read some areas, and you can have them help you put together a complete chassis package. MM makes their own parts, and they are not inexpensive, but the items are top quality. And they are very helpful with customers. Grab a beverage and check it out when you have some time.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it can be kept stock. The MM writeup just gives a detailed explanation of how one item could change the direction they are looking for. I have been driving FOX Mustangs since 1984, and they can be a lot of fun. Sometimes a little scary. My 1992 LX is the first time I have installed an MM Package, R&T, into any FOX, and it drives and turns so much better. You don't have to get anything from MM, but you can see what you would do to set up for handling or straight line. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
You've come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of a modification. :D Ride is generally sacrificed by stance but you can ease the reduced ride. It just costs a little more.
Agreed lol. The title was definitely me joking around. My brother and his tech are trying to get me to keep it as stock as possible.

I want to do mods that keep things close to stock and we’re manufacture options or parts made by ford performance.

Ride and ride height factor in to my vision a little but I know there are a lot of people who have been messing with Fox’s for years so getting their feedback is very valuable to me as a learn.