Teardown- carb/IM questions

thaduke2003

Sep 2, 2007
Alright- as I implied in the title, I'm tearing down my 5.0. Here are my questions/problems:
It's a '96 F-150 (supposedly- not yet confirmed) 5.0, converted to carb with the stock '85 carb (Holley 4bbl) and IM, by the way- installed by the previous owner whose idea of "torque to spec" was hit it with an air gun- lots of stretched/snapped bolts so far!
Going to an Edelbrock carb and Summit IM, so the stock bits are going away
EMISSIONS IS NOT AN ISSUE!
Ok:

1. Do I need the carb spacer, and if not, do I just remove the lines that were going to it?

2. There are 2 pieces on the back of the IM- one has vacuum lines going to the header (forgive my ignorance of the names), and the other has vacuum lines going to two wire connectors (might be solenoids? not sure) attached to the firewall. The two connectors do not appear on my wiring diagram, so I'm not sure what they are. One has an orange wire and a white/yellow (I think) and the other has a white/black and a red wire.
What are these pieces for, and can I remove them?
By the way, I am NOT talking about the power brakes vac line- these are on the driver's side at the back of the IM

3. For anyone who has has a Weber/Edelbrock 4-bbl:
There are 2 small vac inputs (I believe) on the front (by the adjustment screws)- what are these for?
Also, can I re-use the single wire from my old choke (stock '85 Holley 4bbl) as the power on the electric choke on my new (1406) Edelbrock?

Thanks in advance, y'all! Cheers- Mark W.

• Sponsors (?)

1. You don't need any of the factory stuff since you're not worried about emissions.

2. You don't need any of it since you're not worried about emissions.

3. You use one of the ports for the advance on the carb. The other can be blocked off. Yes, you can use the same wire for the choke.