Tell Me If I'm Crazy. Oxygen Sensors

Guy at midas quoted me at 760 to replace all four.:jaw: Said each one cost 150 per and it would take two hours. Is he serious are just trying to work me over. Thanks.

Oh My car is a 97 vert gt manual if that matters.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a HORRIBLE price! Your local ford dealer should be WAY cheaper than that! Why do you need to replace them, are you getting a check engine light with O2 sensor trouble codes?

You can find the sensors on ebay for $30-$40 for the sensor, and your ford dealer might b around $80 per sensor (which sucks lol). Just to let you know, the front sensors are the only one that actually "do" anything, the rear sensors just give feedback to the computer that the air/fuel ratio has changed after the exhaust gas has passed through the catalytic converters. If your rears are busted or worn out you'll throw a check engine light, but it won't affect performance one bit.

Oh yeah, and if you really want to change the sensors yourself just jack the car up and put it on some jack stands (or if you're a smaller guy and can fit, just drive it up onto some rhino ramps), grab yourself a crescent wrench, and that's it lol The sensors unplug easily, and just spin out pretty easily! :nice:

I recently replaced my front censors. Ordered them from Randy at Liberty Ford,
(410-655-2000) I think they were $59. each I took them down to a local
muffler shop that I trust. They raised the car up but were to busy to get
right to it, so they just let me do it myself, no charge. But it would be a PITA
if the car was on the ground I must say.

I bought 4 new one, after a week I find out that 2 in the rear is does nothing, so I take 2 in the rear off and put the old one their, car ran find until now, any way, I willing to sell you 2 that I take off ( it only a week old ), I can send you some pix tonight, and give me offer. they still in the box with manual ( it not denso brand but it made by denso ).

by the way if you order from ford, it will have front and rear have different part number, the only thing different is long and short cable, the one I had is all long cable and it will fix front and rear the same. I post some pix when I get home.

wait a minute, the front and the rear are the same sensors?
Are the fronts a 4 wire sensor?
and really, how the heck did ALL FOUR of your sensors fail at the same time?
Give us the codes that are coming up.

You know, tecnically i can see how the price would come up to 700. Labor rate, say its 90/hr, in half thats 45 an hour. 45x4= 180, each sensor maybe 100 each, 400 dollars, thats 5...wait a minute..nope, i dont see how it can possibly cost that much

Here some pix I promise, I take these pix on my room, ignore the beer bottle, I have a bit drink last night :D. these are walker made by denso, these are very clean and it only under a week old on my mustang roughly under 100miles I promise, it put it on my bed to show it very clean. these work fine for me, the other 2 i put on the stang few month ago, it still run work fine no check engine light.

o21pj4.jpg
o22nz2.jpg
o23of7.jpg
o24oh2.jpg
o25wf9.jpg

I take the pix where I stack 2 beer bottle, just to show how long the wire is, I order 4 and 4 of them have the same part number and lenght and fix perfectly. $75 ship to your door. :) pm if you have any question.

I think it easy to install yourself, passenger side is kinda a bitch !!:mad:, but just be patient and work with the wrench, and you will take it off. driver side is easy.

LET THE CAR COOL BEFORE YOU GET UNDER IT, it will be more easy cause your hand will touch the exhault all the time, and you want that exhault to me cool.

ahh its a piece of cake.. i changed mine in my works parking lot on a smoke break, just pulled it up on a curb and changed it.. that was the drivers, the passanger one is a tad harder but still easy..

I was going to say for 400 I'll fly to Tempe and change them out for you...I'd bring the parts.

Post back with the code Autozone gives you.

But do this. Call Midas and ask them why they quoted $150 for 50 dollar parts and 2 hours labor for a job that will take less than 30 minutes...and that is included a break to drink a beer.

update....i'm going to autozone to get the code to figure out which side it is...then my buddy is going to help me change it....thanks guys...hopefully it wont be too much of a pita

While youre at autozone, rent out the oxygen sensor tool kit. It will make the job a lot easier, as these can be a PITA to break loose especially if these are the stock ones on a 10 year old car.