Temp after elec fan install?

66 Tiger

Jul 13, 2003
Virginia
I just installed an elec. fan out of a 91 lincoln. ( 3 wire ) On the way home after a couple of good runs through the gears the temp needle got up to the halfway mark on the guage. Usally it runs a little above the quater mark. ( even after running it hard ) Does this sound normal after deleting the pulley fan? Do I need to get a larger radiator next? Thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

86QtrHorse said:
I just installed an elec. fan out of a 91 lincoln. ( 3 wire ) On the way home after a couple of good runs through the gears the temp needle got up to the halfway mark on the guage. Usally it runs a little above the quater mark. ( even after running it hard ) Does this sound normal after deleting the pulley fan? Do I need to get a larger radiator next? Thanks....

Ok how did you hook up your Fan, Ford uses a 3 wire because the fans have 2 speeds. One is low, and the other is High speed. I keep mine on High speed all the time. I think I use the 2 out side plug and I didn't hook anything up to the middle prong. See if that works better for you.

Jkstang78 said:
Ok how did you hook up your Fan, Ford uses a 3 wire because the fans have 2 speeds. One is low, and the other is High speed. I keep mine on High speed all the time. I think I use the 2 out side plug and I didn't hook anything up to the middle prong. See if that works better for you.

I used the blk/grn 10ga wire & the plain blk. When testing the fan blew stronger with that combo. There was a 12 ga blk/org wire that seemed to be for the lower speed. Not positive on the correct direction... right now I have it pushing air over the motor... does this sound right? When I tried it the other way the fan made a weird winding sound when running.

That is right, One more ? for you. Do you have the lower valance on the bottom of the car. I am talking about a black pice of plastic. It helps flow air up into the radatior. A lot of people take these things off because they get messed up. So make sure you have that also. If you do then maybe you need a bigger Rad or a High flo Water pump.

Jkstang78 said:
That is right, One more ? for you. Do you have the lower valance on the bottom of the car. I am talking about a black pice of plastic. It helps flow air up into the radatior. A lot of people take these things off because they get messed up. So make sure you have that also. If you do then maybe you need a bigger Rad or a High flo Water pump.

You mean the thing that get's in the way of the floor jack every time I try to lift the front of the car! lol Yeah, it's still there. Where's the temp needle run on your guage?