temperature gauge

302fordracer

Mar 27, 2004
Vancouver, WA
ok wow...I have had a pinging issue but today it wasn't pinging...well I see some ricer and he is driving all mad and ricer like and I can't help but show him who is boss so I pull it out of gear into neutral and rev the engine and I hear what sounds like pinging (thought engine only pinged under heavy load i.e. heavy acceleration and up hills) then I begin pushing the car like mad and accelerating hard and I watch the temperature gauge rise streadily until it is in between the r and the m I then upshift and cruise and it goes back down to where it normally runs (the very beginning of the N which seems kinda cold to me) I then downshift and stomp on it to see if it will do it again and sure enough the temp rises steadily...wtf? I checked the coolant and that is good, fan was operating although I do not know whether the fan clutch was working I didn't check, and oil was good except it was a brownish color almost a muddy brown but there was no bubbles and no foam and no smoke in the exhaust. It has been about 2500 miles since my last oil change so I kinda expected the oil to be black...please say I don't have a bad head gasket please!!! money is a serious issue for the next month or so...

• Sponsors (?)

it's suppose to heat up when you put that kinda stress on the motor. the harder you accelerate, means you added more gas and more air to your engine, thus creating more spontaneous combustion(fire). and your temp between the R and M on the NORMAL band isn't really that hot. your low speed fan will cut on in that area. plus you probably have a stock thermostat. try to remember was you running your A/C at the time? that extra load will cause you car to heat up faster too!

you said you are talking about quick revs, you said in your original quote that " i begin pushing the car like mad and accelerating hard". well this is why the temp went up point blank. so chill ain't nothing wrong