• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

temperature gauge

  • Thread starter Thread starter 302fordracer
  • Start date Start date Aug 6, 2004

302fordracer

New Member
Mar 27, 2004
738
0
0
Vancouver, WA
Aug 6, 2004
#1
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #1
ok wow...I have had a pinging issue but today it wasn't pinging...well I see some ricer and he is driving all mad and ricer like and I can't help but show him who is boss so I pull it out of gear into neutral and rev the engine and I hear what sounds like pinging (thought engine only pinged under heavy load i.e. heavy acceleration and up hills) then I begin pushing the car like mad and accelerating hard and I watch the temperature gauge rise streadily until it is in between the r and the m I then upshift and cruise and it goes back down to where it normally runs (the very beginning of the N which seems kinda cold to me) I then downshift and stomp on it to see if it will do it again and sure enough the temp rises steadily...wtf? I checked the coolant and that is good, fan was operating although I do not know whether the fan clutch was working I didn't check, and oil was good except it was a brownish color almost a muddy brown but there was no bubbles and no foam and no smoke in the exhaust. It has been about 2500 miles since my last oil change so I kinda expected the oil to be black...please say I don't have a bad head gasket please!!! money is a serious issue for the next month or so...
 
G

greg@berkeley

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
1,172
0
0
minnesota / university of california, berkeley
Aug 6, 2004
#2
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #2
any extra noise or loss of performance?

you could just as well change your oil since it's about that time anyway and check it after a little drive if you want to rule out a blown head gasket.
 

chrismillion

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 4, 2004
259
0
16
Aug 6, 2004
#3
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #3
it's suppose to heat up when you put that kinda stress on the motor. the harder you accelerate, means you added more gas and more air to your engine, thus creating more spontaneous combustion(fire). and your temp between the R and M on the NORMAL band isn't really that hot. your low speed fan will cut on in that area. plus you probably have a stock thermostat. try to remember was you running your A/C at the time? that extra load will cause you car to heat up faster too!
 

302fordracer

New Member
Mar 27, 2004
738
0
0
Vancouver, WA
Aug 6, 2004
#4
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #4
a/c was off ...i know the temp I stated was not hot it just seemed odd to me for it to jump from the n to the m and back down cause I am talking about quick revvs not sustained heavy throttle...
 

302fordracer

New Member
Mar 27, 2004
738
0
0
Vancouver, WA
Aug 6, 2004
#5
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #5
HELP??!!!
 

chrismillion

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 4, 2004
259
0
16
Aug 6, 2004
#6
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #6
you said you are talking about quick revs, you said in your original quote that " i begin pushing the car like mad and accelerating hard". well this is why the temp went up point blank. so chill ain't nothing wrong
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
436
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
G
1991 GT 5.0 running hot
  • gvanginkel403
  • Jul 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
227
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 2, 2026
General karthief
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
367
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
0
'04 V6 running rich excessively on both banks
  • 04DSGVert
  • Oct 26, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
387
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Oct 27, 2025
04DSGVert
0
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?