The Concept Mustang GT-R and the shebly cobra

What ford car would you like to have.

• Total voters

mustang gt-r

Apr 13, 2004
Did you guys read about the shebly cobra and the mustang gt-r they are so cool. I was reading about the shebly cobra at 6th gear red line they were running 267 mph. That is fecking fast. The mustang gt-r is making 440 horsepower.

I was doing some work reading about it and said that it made 440 horsepower so if you put a super charger on it you'll get 100 horsepower to 150 horsepower and put a K&N filter on it that is 10-15 more horsepower.

So you got 440+150+15= you got 605 horsepower in that car. Then the shebly cobra has 605 horsepower out of the factory so you do the same thing like the supercharger on it you got 605 horsepower+150 supercharger+10-15 horsepower for K&N filter you get 770 horsepower out of that sebly cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

A couple of quick comments.

The Shelby Cobra Roadster won't come out with a 600HP V10. That was the concept, and was electronically limited to 100mph. If it goes into production, most likely it will get the Ford GT motor or a variant.

It's looking good for production, so ford can amortize the tooling costs of the Ford GT since they share a fair amount of suspension components, and if it's released, my guess is 2007 after the Ford GT is gone.

Current estimated price tag: 100K.

The Ford GTR uses the cammer motor, and is too high to push more than 10 lbs of boost through. This car won't make production with that motor, as it's not EPA or carb certified.

However, may be a precursor to the next Cobra R.

I'm waiting for the Shelby, and will give Ford 2 years to release information if this will/won't be produced. If it's not produced, I'll have to settle for a Cobra R or a 2007 Cobra.

It's pretty sad I have to wait, but as a wise man once said, good things come to those who wait...

mustang gt-r said:
Did you guys read about the shebly cobra and the mustang gt-r they are so cool. I was reading about the shebly cobra at 6th gear red line they were running 267 mph. That is fecking fast. The mustang gt-r is making 440 horsepower.

First.....the Shelby concept won't go 267 MPH. 6th gear redline may in fact calculate out to 250+ mph, but the car certainly won't pull redline in top gear. My '04 Cobra calcs out to ~210MPH at redline in 6th.....won't do it, though. If you disable the speed limiter it might pull 175-180, but that's about it.

Second......yeah, the GT-R has a 440 HP cammer in it. So? There are more than a few '03-'04 Cobras out there, including mine, that pull that or more.

Personally, the GT-R is a bit over the top for my taste. And the Cobra concept isn't the best looking thing around either. Blue Oval News reported in the past few days that Ford is taking it back to the design studio for a skin "do-over".

Now........the Ford GT......I think it's probably the most beautiful production car that Ford has ever made. I'd give my left nut for one of 'em. They're gonna go for well north of $200K, though, and that's way out of my league.

Snake03 said:
Blue Oval News reported in the past few days that Ford is taking it back to the design studio for a skin "do-over".

You bring up some valid points. The good news is Ford is doing additional legwork to see if the Shelby Cobra is feasable for production. My guess is they will release the redesign in the near future, and if it's a hit, it will come to market.

If it comes to market, I will look seriously at purchasing one.

HuskerCobra96 said:
You bring up some valid points. The good news is Ford is doing additional legwork to see if the Shelby Cobra is feasable for production. My guess is they will release the redesign in the near future, and if it's a hit, it will come to market.

If it comes to market, I will look seriously at purchasing one.

I think the original Shelby Cobras are one of the most beautiful cars ever made. There are a lot of cars out there that I would like to own, but only a few that I really lust after. That's one of 'em.

I'm glad to see that they're going to re-skin the concept. My initial reaction to is was just an "OK". When I saw the GT in person last June in Dearborn I almost wet my pants. :crazy:

As with others, I think there is a very good chance the Shelby will be produced, given what it shares with the GT. I really hope it does, but they're going to have to do it better than the first go-around.

Snake03 said:
As with others, I think there is a very good chance the Shelby will be produced, given what it shares with the GT. I really hope it does, but they're going to have to do it better than the first go-around.

I'd take the "old" Shelby Cobra prototype body IF it came with that honkin' Modular V-10. I could care less if everyone and their mom thinks it's butt-ugly - that's 600 hp in a 3,000-lb. car! (And that'll be less people around who'll own one, too. :nice: )

I seriously hope they don't dumb the new Cobra down and start adding daily driver-friendly "features" that bloat the weight. If I wanted a daily driver, I'd buy a V6 Mustang with all the options.

I think you're right though; the Cobra will come in a few years with a detuned GT V-8. Maybe Ford Racing will play nice and sell some of the V-10 longblocks lying around.

If they produce the Shelby Roadster, I don't think they will detune the Ford GT V8. The Ford GT will be out of production, and Ford has a history of not caring if previous models are outdone by new models.

1995 Cobra R was outdone by the 1996 Cobra, 2000 cobra R was outdone by the 2003 Cobra. The list goes on and on.

If they build the Shelby, it will have more power than the 2006/7 Mustang Cobra, which is speculated at 500+ HP. I can see the Ford GT motor work as is in the Shelby.

The problem is going to be pricing. Will ford price this to compete with the Viper, or just offer a $100K+ price and have all the collectors gobble them up and not drive them?

If the car comes without a top and side windows, no heater, not radio, it may not do as well as people think it will, as it would be a toy rather than a vehicle people can enjoy. You can't take a true roadster on roadtrips, and have to be watching the sky every minute of the day to make sure you don't soak yourself. Not fun...

I'm anxious to see what pans out...