The honest to god definiton of rice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganador01

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2002
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
I recently read a post on here describing an srt-4 as rice. I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of every ignorant person walking calling something rice just because they disagree with the make or model or looks or some other thing about a car. I now plan to purge the word rice of all its false definitions This is a story and a true definition of rice.

Ok, so here is the damn truth on the subject. To understand my claims u must first research the background of why dodge made the srt-4.
First of all, dodge is a freakin genius. For the most part, people these days care about speed. Thats why you seen 84 honda civics with all sorts of mods done to them. People wanna go fast and they want to do it for cheap. All dodge has done is let them do it with a factory warranty. I still wouldnt have picked a neon but just because it is one, doesn't make it rice. You can't buy rice from the factory. I don't care how big of a wing comes from the factory. People make cars rice, not manufacturers. Rice is and always will be the things people do to cars that just doesn't make much since to anyone else. I.E. a 10 foot wing on a car that only has a 95mph top speed. An "aerodynamic body kit" purchased for speed reasons, when it actually only increases drag. Thats rice. Being a ricer is a way of living. Its the failed attempt of someone trying to make their car look cool or fast. Its trying to fit in with everyone else by making your car different but failing horifically on more then one level. It doesn't have to be japanese, the only reason rice is called "rice" is because most of the people who fit into the category of ricers, drive japanese cars. The word rice originates as a way to make fun of both japanese cars and the people who make them look as stupid as they do sometimes. No one knows when the first person called a car rice and it really doesn't matter. Domestics needed some way to make fun of these people who think their cars are the best ones on the planet. At the time, anyone who drove a japanese car drove rice. thats just how it was. But, "Rice" has evolved into an image now. It no longer has to be a japanese car to be rice. This is a very important aspect of the word. Anyone can make their car rice. Just put something on the car that takes away from it more then it adds to it. A body kit doesn't make a car rice. That is just someones preference. A body kit that belongs on a honda accord but is fit to a mustang is rice. A ricer is someone who thinks their car is made better by an obviously crappy mod. Someone who fits into the "fast and furious" persona. If they think that body kit adds aero dynamics when anyone with 2 eyes can tell it could only create more drag. Thats a ricer. When they think that their cai induction adds 15 hp because the box says so, thats a ricer. A ricer is someone who thinks they know something about a car when they obviously don't. A ricer is someone who revs their car at a car who is obviously faster when they are in the turn lane. A ricer is someone who brags about their tornado and the 15hp it gained them. (Btw, if the tornado actually worked, every manufacturer would include them on their car from the factory. There is not a single manufacturer who puts a tornado on their car) That is the rice and ricer definitions. When a manufacturer makes an ugly car with a big wing, its just that, An ugly car with a big wing. A manufacturer does it for the sole purpose of attracting people to buy it. They don't care if it has a 50 ft wing as long as it sells (I.E. The roadrunner)Only people can make a car rice. I just wanted to clarify that. I feel people use the word rice way too often when they really just can't think of the right words. Understanding what you are saying is the key to any conversation. When you say rice and you mean, "ugly piece of ****", you give off the stereotype of a ricer (I.E. you hear everyone else calling japanese cars rice so you do to; But, in actuallity, you know nothing about the car or anything else. U know u just want to fit in and make fun of someone else's ride). The definition has changed from a straight definition to a more encompasing idea of a type of persona. So please people, especially those of you with mustangs, please don't go around calling everything that you don't like rice. You make urself look stupid and you put a bad image on anyone else that drivers a car like urs. You represent your community. (the community consisting of other who drive cars like you) Please don't do your community wrong by contributing to a stereotype. I'm not saying that there are not any rice cars out there. I just get tired of people calling every other car that is not theirs, or is not a "true domestic with a v8" rice. At least understand the word if ur going to use it. Now honestly, do you guys not agree with this?

• Sponsors (?)

ganador01 said:
...I feel people use the word rice way too often when they really just can't think of the right words....

Agreed.

Someone on here said an insanely fast, high dollar, european supercar, rice because it had a large wing on the back, that actually helped it go faster around corners and be more stable at high speeds. I defended the word rice and the car. I was told to "chill" or something. I like to fight for the definition. :D

Whether I agree with you or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that your wrists are now effectively ruined from that post. :D

BTW... I do agree and I think the Roadrunner was a very good example.

atlblue2000 said:
...BTW... I do agree and I think the Roadrunner was a very good example.

pfft... the Roadrunner had a perfectly good explanation for the giant wing.. so they could open the trunk! It actually did help the car because it ran in the Nascar series. Ever heard of it? Although the Roadrunner and Charger Daytona didn't exactly win too many of the races. Anyway, I think those 2 cars do look stupid.

Penguin said:
pfft... the Roadrunner had a perfectly good explanation for the giant wing.. so they could open the trunk! It actually did help the car because it ran in the Nascar series. Ever heard of it? Although the Roadrunner and Charger Daytona didn't exactly win too many of the races. Anyway, I think those 2 cars do look stupid.

Thank you for the history lesson, buuuuuttt, I have most definitely heard of the roadrunner and charger (I've not been completely under a rock for my entire life :p ). I was indeed aware of the fact the wings were supposed to actually serve a purpose. However, I still do agree that if it was even a long shot of a possibility to aid in sells, they would have stuck most anything on those cars for the sake of sales. Just my opinion; take it for what its worth. :nice:

if I can fit my wrist thru the opening from the trunk lid to the top of the wing, its rice. Factory or not. It most definately must come with a oriental style name, or something that is just plain stupid like echo, murano, or evo. It must glow at night so when your parked at 7 11 you don't loose your car in the parking lot. and at a minimum must contain a unpainted carbon fibre hood and naws stickers rollin on 22's. If you got the ching ching you too can have the bling bling yo! That **** was phat yo!

98StangRidah said:
Ganador, you should get an award for all that work. I do agree with most of it, but besides that, it is really a well thought out post. Thank you. :hail2:

Lol thanks for the support. I leave about one of these a month. I write an essay over something that bothers me. Lol. Im sure if i did a search, i could come up with like over 100 pages where it takes 5 minutes to read the post...lol

GREENBIOCH said:
It must glow at night so when your parked at 7 11 you don't loose your car in the parking lot. and at a minimum must contain a unpainted carbon fibre hood and naws stickers rollin on 22's. If you got the ching ching you too can have the bling bling yo! That **** was phat yo!

:lol:
Thats hilarious. LOL :rlaugh: . Especially the last part. :flag:

GREENBIOCH said:
if I can fit my wrist thru the opening from the trunk lid to the top of the wing, its rice. Factory or not. It most definately must come with a oriental style name, or something that is just plain stupid like echo, murano, or evo. It must glow at night so when your parked at 7 11 you don't loose your car in the parking lot. and at a minimum must contain a unpainted carbon fibre hood and naws stickers rollin on 22's. If you got the ching ching you too can have the bling bling yo! That **** was phat yo!

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :lol: :lol: :puke: .... :rlaugh: :rlaugh: That's a good one! :nice:

atlblue2000 said:
Thank you for the history lesson, buuuuuttt, I have most definitely heard of the roadrunner and charger (I've not been completely under a rock for my entire life :p ). I was indeed aware of the fact the wings were supposed to actually serve a purpose. However, I still do agree that if it was even a long shot of a possibility to aid in sells, they would have stuck most anything on those cars for the sake of sales. Just my opinion; take it for what its worth. :nice:

You missed my point. Those two cars were made to qualify them for the Nascar series. Not for sales. If Nascar didn't require a minimum amount of production cars, they would never have made it to the street.

If you want cars that were made pretty just to sell more, go to '71+ cars. Like the "Heavy Chevy" and "Cobra II." Those cars were made with horrible stickers and body kits, with not even good performance.

Sorry if I come off as rude/insane, but I'm just trying to help.

Penguin said:
You missed my point. Those two cars were made to qualify them for the Nascar series. Not for sales. If Nascar didn't require a minimum amount of production cars, they would never have made it to the street.

If you want cars that were made pretty just to sell more, go to '71+ cars. Like the "Heavy Chevy" and "Cobra II." Those cars were made with horrible stickers and body kits, with not even good performance.

Sorry if I come off as rude/insane, but I'm just trying to help.
damn u......man ur rude/insane :lol:

You all have your facts wrong about the SUPERBIRD and Charger Daytona. The wings and nose DID NOT help sales. But since Chrysler was running them in Nascar, a limited production run had to be made. Most dealers couldn't give these cars away.
And the cars DID win races. It was Chrysler's 3rd attempt at beating the Ford Torinos. After the failure of the original Charger, and Charger 500 bodystyles, they realized that making the car more aerodynamic was a lot easier than just squeezing more hp out of it. When the Charger Daytonas hit the superspeedways with their 426 Hemis, they immediately became the first Nascars to break the 200mph barrier.

And I disagree with Ganador on one point.
Manufacturers are doing a damn fine job at creating stock rice.
Look at Toyota. First they slapped a wing and bodykit on a Celica, and advertised it as "looking faster than it is."(remember the dog running into a parked car?) And now they're making those ugly ass Scions. And they're encouraging people to make them look as ridiculous as possible right out of the factory.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]You all have your facts wrong about the SUPERBIRD and Charger Daytona. The wings and nose DID NOT help sales. But since Chrysler was running them in Nascar, a limited production run had to be made. Most dealers couldn't give these cars away.
And the cars DID win races. It was Chrysler's 3rd attempt at beating the Ford Torinos. After the failure of the original Charger, and Charger 500 bodystyles, they realized that making the car more aerodynamic was a lot easier than just squeezing more hp out of it. When the Charger Daytonas hit the superspeedways with their 426 Hemis, they immediately became the first Nascars to break the 200mph barrier.

And I disagree with Ganador on one point.
Manufacturers are doing a damn fine job at creating stock rice.
Look at Toyota. First they slapped a wing and bodykit on a Celica, and advertised it as "looking faster than it is."(remember the dog running into a parked car?) And now they're making those ugly ass Scions. And they're encouraging people to make them look as ridiculous as possible right out of the factory.[/QUOTE]
But toyota has motivation. It makes their cars look like this because they think they can sell them. The celica with that aero body kit is not rice. Sure it is ugly to some people, and sure that spoiler does not really help. But, since the sole goal for them is to sell cars any way they can, they are not making rice. They are making cars that just look ugly. Then once some young person buys one and sticks yokohama stickers on the side when they are running some 80 dollar kuhmos, then that becomes rice. And, at least toyota can justify the need for every part on that car. (to sell it). And, sad to say, i bet there is at least a little technology built into their body kits.

but my whole point was that rice is a state of being...not the way ur car looks...your car merely emphasizes the point...

ganador01 said:
but my whole point was that rice is a state of being...not the way ur car looks...your car merely emphasizes the point...

What about the owner that thinks, "Damn my Celica is fast. I mean, just look at it" ?
You can justify Toyota's marketing gimmicks however you want. But the fact remains that the people who are buying these cars are very ignorant when it comes to cars themselves. And this is what started the whole ricer thing. Ignorant people acting like they know stuff about cars.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]What about the owner that thinks, "Damn my Celica is fast. I mean, just look at it" ?
You can justify Toyota's marketing gimmicks however you want. But the fact remains that the people who are buying these cars are very ignorant when it comes to cars themselves. And this is what started the whole ricer thing. Ignorant people acting like they know stuff about cars.[/QUOTE]
well, lets go with this. What if someone who knows everything there is about cars buys a celica with the body kit because they like the way it looks? Does that make them a ricer? No. I agree with you on the fact that MOST of the people who buy these cars know nothing, but not all. And therefore, a ricer is not defined by the car he(ricers generally being males) drives. Hence, that same guy who knew everything and bought the celica does not suddenly become a ricer. He would have to do something extra to fit into the ricer persona.

I guess you have a point.
But you're assuming a lot to think someone who knows cars would waste their $$$ on a Celica with a bodykit. :rlaugh:

I just hate when manufacturers do stupid things to please ignorant buyers. I mean I'm the kind of person that will tell you one of the best things about the '05 GT is the absence of a fake hoodscoop.

cliffnotebunny.JPG

common some of us are lazy :fuss:

Status
Not open for further replies.