The Journey To Find A Fox. Found A Cobra Instead.

4F97FC7A-011B-4558-A63B-F30DF374D0F3.jpeg
8C19DC49-B3BC-4D61-90B5-CCF8450E3E35.jpeg
B54A0CF1-6AEF-46EF-97D3-98280014CDD0.jpeg
So no luck yet selling my ‘66. I had a guy leave a business card on my Mustang at a show around 3 years ago. It said on the back to call if interested in selling. It turns out it’s the guy who’s flakes on me twice. He finally came and looked at it and said he would call back with an offer, that was about a month ago. So fast forward to yesterday, I emailed a guy with a Cobra for sale. Asked him if he’d be interested in a trade which it sounds like he is. It looks to be in great shape, slightly modified with Maximum Motorsports suspension, exhaust, ignition and is very very clean. I believe it has 138k, which is pretty high for a Cobra. What do you guys think? Good for a trade for my Mustang (pictured)?

• Sponsors (?)

EGR looks bypassed too. With 138k on the car and with it's mods I'm going to say this guy needs to come up with cash on his end, how much is up to you. I think your 66' has more value now and in 10+ years down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
EGR looks bypassed too. With 138k on the car and with it's mods I'm going to say this guy needs to come up with cash on his end, how much is up to you. I think your 66' has more value now and in 10+ years down the road.
I do agree with you. However, my Mustang was originally a 6cyl car. It is not at all original. I’ve had it advertised at 17k with little to no interest, even on eBay. I believe the V8 conversion is hurting its value. In talking with the Cobra owner, it has all of the factory body panel vin tags, which I’m not can be reproduced. Original paint, again I haven’t seen it in person but at this point if I got it I would put it back to original condition. He does also have the original turbine wheels.

So I’m going by Hagerty value (not sure of accuracy)I’m thinking it’s a #3 car out 4 because of all the mods which is $17.4k. But I dont know hardly anything about fox mustangs, which is why I’m here! I do appreciate the replies.

I would assume it's more that your car is a '66 coupe with black standard interior. Ford made more Mustangs in '66 than any other year, more coupes than any other body style, and put more black standard interiors in them than any other interior configuration.

Still, that's a very nice looking car. I would agree with the assessment that the owner of the Cobra would be getting the better end of the deal if you do a straight trade.

I'm a huge fan of the Foxbody 5.0 but the Cobra really is cool and collectible to "purists" only if it's low mile and unmolested. Outside of that, as a driver, the Cobra leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I'd take a low mile 03/04 Terminator every day of the week for the "cool factor" and collectability. Just my opinion. I'm not a purist, I like resto-mod type cars like your 66'. I can't leave things stock, ever, which is why I stay away from collectible cars.

I'm a huge fan of the Foxbody 5.0 but the Cobra really is cool and collectible to "purists" only if it's low mile and unmolested. Outside of that, as a driver, the Cobra leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I'd take a low mile 03/04 Terminator every day of the week for the "cool factor" and collectability. Just my opinion. I'm not a purist, I like resto-mod type cars like your 66'. I can't leave things stock, ever, which is why I stay away from collectible cars.
Do you mean that certain Cobra leaves a lot to be desired or high mileage Cobras in general? Terminators are awesome but very pricey!

@FoxMustangLvr
My '93 Cobra, with it's stock intake system, had no EGR spacer block like the earlier Foxes. But this one pictured is a an aftermarket intake? Can't recall how the Ford GT-40 intake handled it, but looked similar to the one here. imp

I'd trade for the Cobra. The value of the cobra will probably catch up and pass by the 66 v8 swapped coupe. The 93 cobra will be worth more in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
@FoxMustangLvr
My '93 Cobra, with it's stock intake system, had no EGR spacer block like the earlier Foxes. But this one pictured is a an aftermarket intake? Can't recall how the Ford GT-40 intake handled it, but looked similar to the one here. imp

Cobra had an internal EGR, but no coolant passage. The gt40 Intake uses a spacer that does allow the use of coolant passages, but lacks the provision to hook up the coolant hose on the heater pipe.

The only think not on that car I see is the EGR coolant hoses. But I see an egr vskve and it looks hooked up.

I'd make this trade....and return the Cobra to stock. Sell the gt40 upper and get s nice clean FORD Cobra upper back on there

Do you mean that certain Cobra leaves a lot to be desired or high mileage Cobras in general? Terminators are awesome but very pricey!
The Foxbody in stock form leaves a lot to be desired as a driver IMO. If you're just going to be hitting a car show occasionally and making short trips then it probably won't bother you much. I like to drive my as much as possible during the spring and summer and where I live we have bumpy crappy roads because our winter and snow plows are rough on the roads. To make these better drivers I feel that gears, suspension, SFC, and 5 lug swap are a mandatory minimum with these cars. Most of those modifications will hurt the value of a 93' Cobra unfortunately. Who knows, maybe you'll like the Fox in stock form more than me. This is just all my opinion.

The Foxbody in stock form leaves a lot to be desired as a driver IMO. If you're just going to be hitting a car show occasionally and making short trips then it probably won't bother you much. I like to drive my as much as possible during the spring and summer and where I live we have bumpy crappy roads because our winter and snow plows are rough on the roads. To make these better drivers I feel that gears, suspension, SFC, and 5 lug swap are a mandatory minimum with these cars. Most of those modifications will hurt the value of a 93' Cobra unfortunately. Who knows, maybe you'll like the Fox in stock form more than me. This is just all my opinion.
I get what you are saying. I don’t daily my current Mustang but I feel I may drive a newer Mustang more, just for the modern amenities, ac, comfy seats etc. It does have MM suspension, don’t know how extreme it is but I would have to imagine it would ride better than my current Mustang.
If you get it pm me, I got what you need.
Thanks, I just may do that!
I'd trade for the Cobra. The value of the cobra will probably catch up and pass by the 66 v8 swapped coupe. The 93 cobra will be worth more in the future.
Im not terribly worried about values more so that I just want to make sure it’s a fair trade on both ends. But from what I’ve seen recently, values have gone up on most fox mustangs.

Honestly, if I had your classic and could swap up even for the Cobra, I would do it in a heart beat.

I like the coupes in fox bodies, never did in the Classic mustangs.

What do you want to do?

Honestly, if I had your classic and could swap up even for the Cobra, I would do it in a heart beat.

I like the coupes in fox bodies, never did in the Classic mustangs.

What do you want to do?
Well I’m going to try to see it next weekend. He is looking at mine on Sunday. He wasn’t looking to trade, but I hit him up anyway. Seems to be a very nice Cobra from what he is saying. If it’s as nice as he says then I will probably do the trade.

You think so ? how far in the future ? Not sure where you live, but several things going for your 66, for someone who wants a early Mustang, 6 cylinder cars weren't usually beat like V8 cars, and 6 cyl. cars are exact bodys as V8's coming down the assembly line, just different components added. I own a 89 Fox, Saleen conv. one of only 165 built that year, mine has 12,990 orig. miles and is #0085, I have it for sale for $22,000 and would sell it for 20 but, where I live, it's still here. It sits covered in my shop, as I don't drive manual cars now, at 81 and a bad left ankle, It still has orig everything except one cat,has original paint, top, plugs, wires, etc. I also own 14 other earlier mustangs, I'd keep the 66

Attachments

• new saleen pics 037.JPG
    new saleen pics 037.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 107
  • new saleen pics 035.JPG
    new saleen pics 035.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 121
  • new saleen pics 039.JPG
    new saleen pics 039.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 102
  • new saleen pics 052.JPG
    new saleen pics 052.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 105
  • new saleen pics 056.JPG
    new saleen pics 056.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 139
  • new saleen pics 034.JPG
    new saleen pics 034.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 104
Few others here.

Attachments

• new saleen pics 014.JPG
    new saleen pics 014.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 131
  • new saleen pics 029.JPG
    new saleen pics 029.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 113
  • new saleen pics 032.JPG
    new saleen pics 032.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 1-2013 cars 441.JPG
    1-2013 cars 441.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1055.JPG
    DSCN1055.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1056.JPG
    DSCN1056.JPG
    749.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN1813.JPG
    DSCN1813.JPG
    756.6 KB · Views: 108
You think so ? how far in the future ? Not sure where you live, but several things going for your 66, for someone who wants a early Mustang, 6 cylinder cars weren't usually beat like V8 cars, and 6 cyl. cars are exact bodys as V8's coming down the assembly line, just different components added. I own a 89 Fox, Saleen conv. one of only 165 built that year, mine has 12,990 orig. miles and is #0085, I have it for sale for $22,000 and would sell it for 20 but, where I live, it's still here. It sits covered in my shop, as I don't drive manual cars now, at 81 and a bad left ankle, It still has orig everything except one cat,has original paint, top, plugs, wires, etc. I also own 14 other earlier mustangs, I'd keep the 66
Well I’ve had mine for sale for about 3 months now I believe, pretty much no interest. I have it for sale now at $17k obo, still no interest. Had it on eBay for the same and got offered $8k. Yes, mine will go up in value but Foxbody Mustangs have been really climbing the last few years, being a Cobra I think adds even more value also.

You have to be patient when selling a car like yours, like the cobra, a person will be looking for that car and as they continue to expand their search will find it.
Stop dropping the price because you think it's too much, thats a good deal even for a converted 6 cyl.
I would trade for the cobra if it is verifiable but I'm partial to fox cars anyway, future car values are fickle, alot of investors sunk big money in classic cars and drove the prices up only to see their investment shrink after a few years

You have to be patient when selling a car like yours, like the cobra, a person will be looking for that car and as they continue to expand their search will find it.
Stop dropping the price because you think it's too much, thats a good deal even for a converted 6 cyl.
I would trade for the cobra if it is verifiable but I'm partial to fox cars anyway, future car values are fickle, alot of investors sunk big money in classic cars and drove the prices up only to see their investment shrink after a few years
Ask people on Vintage Mustang (FB and Forum) if they think 17k is a good deal on a converted 6, I’m sure they will all laugh! If it’s not a fastback then they all think it should be 10k-12k. I agree with you though, it is good deal for it. Plus, I didn’t put much into this car, I bought it for $9k 4 years ago.

Ask people on Vintage Mustang (FB and Forum) if they think 17k is a good deal on a converted 6, I’m sure they will all laugh! If it’s not a fastback then they all think it should be 10k-12k. I agree with you though, it is good deal for it. Plus, I didn’t put much into this car, I bought it for $9k 4 years ago.
A lot of opinions on facepage.
I talk about the value of your car with assumptions in mind, no hidden rust, quality parts and build methods, everything works as it should, a high 8 on a scale of 1-10, one thing I advise people with high dollar vehicles is get it appraised by a classic car appraiser. Then you can dangle that when someone disputes your price.