The new MGW short throw, PRO 5.0, or Steeda Tri-ax?

• Sponsors (?)

yea the MGW has them too, i have a Pro 5.0 and its unbelieveable to me. I'm 5'9'' so and sit andrettie close to the wheel so reaching 5th isnt a problem for me, but some people complain. Shifts are hard and crisp, very very short, and the spring loaded part damn near throws itself into 3rd which is great. havent had any experience with the MGW, but have heard great things also.

With the rare exception of those who have actually used multiple shifters, you're going to get a bunch of responses that praise whatever shifter the poster is currently using. That's because they are ALL 100x better than the stock POS. Go find some local Mustangers who have aftermarket shifters and ask to sit in their car and get a feel for it. The Tri-ax and the Pro-5.0 are both tried and true shifters. You can't go wrong with either one. The MGW is fairly new on the market but seems to be designed well (I'd prefer splines on the shifter handle though instead of just a smooth bore clamp).

Personally, I'm running the Tri-ax. I've shifted the Pro-5.0 and it feels very nice. I'm currently in the market for a new shifter (bought a T56) and will probably go with the Tri-ax just because I know I like it.

Of course, I'd be willing to get the Pro-5.0 for testing purposes if the 94-95 forum would be willing to chip in for a Tri-ax if I don't like it. :D

My brothers 2003 GT with the T3650 has a Pro 5.0 on it.

My good friends 92 LX with the T5 has the steeda tri ax.

The pro 5.0 is really hard to use. It's just to short for me. It's great at the track, but for a daily driver, it's just too cumbersome. I have a hard time pushing the shifter from 1st gear all the way to reverse.

The steeda tri-ax still has a really short shift, but it is much easier to use. I have raced my friends 92 LX and it works great & feels great.

At the track, I would think the pro 5.0 would be better.

That being said, I haven't felt a pro 5.0 on a T5 yet. So I can't compare for our trannies.

As much as I enjoy racing my mustang, I would not want to deal with the pro 5.0. I am getting a steeda tri-ax as soon as I get my H/C/I + tweecer all taken care of (soon soon soon).
Scott

95riosnake said:
I also just ordered the new MGW Short Throw shifter just yesterday with the blue handle (shorter shift handle) option. I'll post my thoughts on it whenever I get it installed and drive the car.

You'll love the slp loudmouth. I have one on my 94 GT and it sounds awesome. The 3 1/2in tips dont seem to look right with the car but i guess its a matter of preference. Let me know how you like the shorter handle option.

Like others said before you can't go wrong with either one. What ever is the better deal. I bought a triax off a local guy for $100 so I went with that. I'm sure the pro5.0 or mgw could be just as good or even better in some cases.

Id go MGW first choice.. imo it's easily gunna take over the market in the future

After that I'd go Pro 5.0

I've got a tri-ax myself, and it's great but next time I'll probably go one of the other routes just to see what else there is.. so I like it, million times better than stock, just didn't blow me away

sade04 said:
which handle did you order? im afraid to get the shorter one, because it might be really high effort.
I got the blue (short) handle. Just arrived yesterday.

I simply had to install it right away. :D Man it is quality to the core. The difference just looking at it compared to stock is a joke. And I love the short throw and tight feel. This shifter rocks! :cheers:

Don't shy away from the short shifter. The shift effort is fine. Maybe you should ask about em when ordering. I just can't imagine anyone who would order an aftermarket shifter and go with a longer shift handle. But then again, they do say that the red one does not increase shift throw much. Whatever.

Someone above commented that you should expect to get lots of replies raving about the shifter the poster has (cause that's all they have experience with). And that's me for sure. But I can tell you at least that the MGW clearly is worth every penny.

baglock1 said:
And what makes you say that? Because it looks different? How about some tech to back that up.
This is just my opinion, but when you are talking about quality after market shifters (as in the Steeda, Pro 5.0 or MGW), it's a matter of subjective preference, not tech.

Those prefence items probably are feel, length of throw and noise (does it transmit vibrations and whine).