Progress Thread The next "big" project for my Cobra - T-top conversion coming soon!

@95steedamustang - he sure loves T Top conversions- maybe one day he will build a II. Until then, maybe he has some advice/Ideas?
My one take away from doing numerous T-Top conversion is that it is nearly impossible to do a worse job and they did originally. I think a kid was a hand saw could’ve done better. People always like to talk about a factory T Top car but in reality, they butchered those cars to do the conversions so if one takes their time and does it right and tries to do a good job it’s gonna be 10x better than a factory one. Btw. I have done a II t-top conversion for a customer, but it’s been a long time ago. I’ll see if I can dig up some pictures.
 
Started on a few spot welds this afternoon after fighting my spot weld cutter. The pilot tip needed a little sharpening so I did that, but in the process I lost the spring somehow. Luckily I have 2, so I tried to use the second one but the pilot hole is wallowed out. I then swapped the spring into the first one, made a couple cuts before the pilot stuck. Pulled it apart again to clean the chips from the bore and went back at it. This happened a couple times - I think I spent more time dealing with the cutter than I did working on the spot welds. But when I did work on the spot welds, the dimple I punched into the center didn't hold the pilot well enough and the cutter would walk. I was so frustrated by then that I just gave up for the night. When I get back out there I'll start by drilling some pilot holes, hopefully that will do the trick!
 
Halfway there....

20260929_172829.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: welder4956
Almost there....

After locating and drilling the spot welds on the other side, I decided I'd better figure out some kind of support system just in case stuff comes crashing down. So I ran a couple ratchet straps through the car on opposite ends.

20260929_191922.webp


Once that was done, I commenced with my air hammer, which turned out to be more or less useless and overkill. So I switched to a sharp chisel and a hammer, drilled the spot welds that were too shallow, and started splitting the channels from the lower frame.

20260929_194711.webp
20260929_200127.webp



As I think you can see, it's still hung up. Turns out I missed a bunch of spot welds on the inner portion of the channels like there were on the front and back. I'll have to clean up all of the foam and glue residue to locate them.


20260929_201020.webp



Now that it's dropped enough to be able to see everything, it looks like it was put up in 3 parts - 2 channels and the lower frame. I suspect that they cut the front and center beam/support from the hard top, installed the frame, then cut the door frame between the pillars before installing the channels. I guess we'll test that theory soon! :nice:
 
  • Like
Reactions: welder4956