The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

Trading it would work
I did that with my 1990 Corvette that had very few takers
It is supply and demand, Not much supply of Mustang 2's but no demand either
Traded my Corvette for a works bike Yamaha Raptor with a widening kit and tons of bad mods
Worth about the same as my Corvette and we get out a lot so
It can sit next to my bad Banshee

Last edited:
Banshee Willard Peak.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
ElSuperPinto sold to a very nice young man this afternoon that is into muscle cars and wanted a new project. I told him about the forum and thread, so hopefully he shows up to keep y'all entertained with the old girl's progress.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Sweet
Now, what you gonna get next?
Nothing.

I'm done having a project car. I sold my '87 Mustang GT convertible because I grew to hate it. I sold my '75 Thunderbird because gas hit $4.00 a gallon during the Bush Administration and I couldn't afford that thirsty 460 anymore. I parted out my papaw's '75 Chevy because by the time I was done restoring it, all that would be left of "his" truck would've been a pair of frame rails. I parted out the '74 and '76 IIs because they wouldn't sell and I wanted to put their parts to use on their successors (in fact, ElSuperPinto went to it's new owner with a set of wheels I'd owned for over twenty years that had been on four Mustangs, three of them IIs).

I've sunk a lot of money into cars that were never finished (hell, five were scrapped either directly or indirectly because of me), grew to hate the hobby because it was also my job, and damned near bankrupted myself over the past year from mistakes, health issues, and trying to juggle too many hobbies, so there's just not going to be another project car.

The '99 Ranger my girlfriend gifted me needs a valve cover gasket, timing belt, and tune-up. Once I'm done with that, I'm just going to maintain it... other than some better speakers because those 24-year-old Ford 6x8s are crap.

I'm actually pretty happy about ElSuperPinto's outcome. No I didn't get to finish it, no I didn't do a wild and crazy engine swap or the Mach1 tribute car I wanted to, but this one didn't end up scrapped, and I'm 100% sure I found not just A buyer for it, but the RIGHT buyer. Is it bittersweet that it's gone? You're damned right it is. I owned that II for 12 years, and owned Mustang IIs for 21 consecutive years (with overlap between the 1st and 2nd, and the 2nd and 3rd IIs, no less). However, it was time, and for once, one of my project cars found a good home that I can feel happy about. I actually heard from the guy that bought it last night, and he drove it 30 miles home with zero issues (I'd never driven it more than 15 miles in any single trip!) and was marveling at how it just gets squirrely when you stomp the loud pedal.

THAT, is a good outcome.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
I've been debating whether or not I wanted to say anything, but I think I'm going to.....

You're done having a project car *at this time.*

I say that not because I mean that I think you're lying or anything, I think I honestly know where you're coming from. I mean I think of getting rid of my stuff off and on and wonder why I even bother. There's always SOMETHING that either distracts me or takes all of my available funds to the point that I can only nickel and dime things (if I can even do that!). One look at my Cobra will tell the story. Or my 87. Hell, even my 55 - I've had THAT car for 40 years this year and it's in worse shape than it was when my dad was alive. :(

Life gets messy and in the way and just generally sucks from time to time, it happens to us all. But I think there will come a time where you may decide that it's a good time to jump back in - it may be 10, 20, or even 30 years from now - but if it's something that's been in your blood from a young age, I think something will feel like it's missing and you'll jump back in. And if not, that's ok too, I'm sure there will be plenty of stories to share with a younger generation about how you used to have this bad ass hot rod back in the day.....

In any event, best of luck with everything! :cheers:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Life gets messy and in the way and just generally sucks from time to time, it happens to us all. But I think there will come a time where you may decide that it's a good time to jump back in - it may be 10, 20, or even 30 years from now - but if it's something that's been in your blood from a young age, I think something will feel like it's missing and you'll jump back in.
All of this above……TRUE!

I was not going to pipe in either, but just use your 99 Ranger for your current project
Life does happen, hell a car might fall on you or in your lap
I worked on a buddy's car, found out his uncle had 5 old Fords
Bought a 56 2 door post for 2700 bucks, a steal, it is not my (old car) dream car, 56 Nomad, but what the hell

Well I wasn't going to comment; but I was at the point where life takes over with no time or money to work on my old car, and kept my Cobra II for well over 30 years in multiple garages. Then I retired and finally had the time and motivation to get it completed. You will be much more competent to do that sort of thing than I ever was due to your lifetime skill set than I ever was. You may change your mind.

On the other hand, After 40 years as an electrician I refuse to do any electrical work (other than on my car) for anyone. I'll tell people what they need to do and even draw them a diagram. But NO! So I understand.

Reactions: 1 users
So I mentioned the fleet of assorted 90s beaters I somehow ended up owning (it's a long story... I didn't actually want any of them but the Ranger) in the Craigslist thread.

In my driveway currently sits:

2008 Kia Rondo: It's the ex-girlfriend's car. We broke up over the weekend. I bought her that car about a month ago. She loves it, I have promises to fulfill regarding minor cosmetic work and a timing belt and then I'm done with her and the car.

1996 Toyota Avalon: Also the ex-girlfriend's car, it's been mentioned in this thread before, it's the one I put a used engine in. It was her mother's, who passed away right before we met, and it's status is currently in limbo due to there apparently being two titles for the car, and the original, in her possesion not being the valid one due to the existence of a certified copy (Texas can be weird), that nobody can figure out or admit who acquired. I'm going to have to get a bonded title on this hunk of junk just to sell it. Too bad really, it runs and drives perfect and has ice cold A/C and a host of new parts.

1999 Ford Ranger: Mentioned and pictured previously in this thread, it was bought by my ex-girlfriend for a daily almost two years ago, and gifted to me this Valentine's day. It was to be my daily until she screwed up and bought...

1996 GMC Sonoma: This longbed with a camper grampa truck is not something I wanted. She realized shortly after buying it that she didn't actually want it either, and promptly jacked the Ranger's keys and left me driving this damned thing. I grew to hate it, hell, I LOATHED it. But... this old, worn-out, leaky, noisy, ugly beater... just won't quit. It's got a 4.3V6, 4L60E trans, and Flowmaster exhaust (had it when she bought it). It's uncomfortable, and the steering is sloppier than the local drunk on karaoke night, but... it won't quit. Three weeks ago, the Ranger's timing belt broke 40 miles from home, and I had it towed back to work since my insurance only covered 15 miles of towing and I didn't have the cash to pay the difference... The Sonoma flat-towed it home the 57 miles from work with a Harbor Freight tow bar. The A/C blows ice cold when the blower motor isn't randomly shutting off and making funny noises (usually fixed by turning it off and back on), and while it's fuel economy isn't great (17-19mpg), it gets it so consistently that it's almost mind boggling. It doesn't care if I leave for work early and maintain a steady 70mph, or run late and do 90+ the whole way, or even if it's towing the Ranger (18.03mpg with the Ranger behind it is... well... spectacular). I've been neglecting the hell out of this thing, but at this point I might just keep IT and sell the Ranger after it's reassembled. I started liking this thing when it pulled the Ranger like it wasn't there, and a co-worker REALLY wants to buy the Ranger.

I've even started a shopping list to drop a 5.7 Vortec into the damned thing since it's practically a bolt-in and only requires four wires being added to the existing engine harness for the stock computer to run it. I've also picked out wheels and tires, and have a cart on RockAuto full of it's actual needs, and I picked out a tonneau cover, and a paint color, and a roll pan, and a lowering kit, and... :leghump:... it's a project car... isn't it? :doh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Why yes..... yes it is..... :rlaugh:
Well... that didn't happen.

I still have the Sonoma, hell, it has new pads, rotors, wheel bearings, calipers, control arms, and front brake hoses. It's also for sale.

I sold my dad the Ranger after his beloved 2013 Hyundai Accent was rear-ended and totalled (it was his first new car, bought it from me during the brief period in which I sold cars, had 196,000 miles on it when some dumbass in a Silverado with a brush guard was too busy :leghump:ing around on his cell phone to pay attention to traffic). He adores the Ranger, and has already put a camper shell on it (what is it with old dudes and camper shells?), he then offered to sell me his 2002 Suburban (the one that got two transmissions earlier in this thread) for an unbelievable price, so I'm selling the Sonoma to buy it, because, if I'm going to get 17mpg on the highway, I'm doing it with some legroom dammit!

The Avalon is now mine, I'll be using it for a highway beater back and forth to work soon.

Still no project car.

Reactions: 1 users