thermostat woes

tsiemens

my welding skills arent really skills
Jul 14, 2018
ontario
This thermostat housing is driving me crazy and good thing these gaskets are cheap. I've had 3 different new gaskets in this thing already and it leaks every single time out the bottom. I cant even fire the old 5.0 up. Twice I've used red rtv and once silicone spray. Always leaks as soon as the coolant level reaches the bottom of the housing. Any suggestions? How much torque should these bolts get?

Thanks!
Its my old 86 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

The only time I've had one leak is when the thermostat slide down and got pinched between the housing and the block.
Use rtv on the thermostat to help hold it in place in the housing,letting it dry so it stays in place.Since most housings are pitted,I've always apply a thin amount of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket.
If this is the way you've done all the installs then I got nothing else.
Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I may be wrong but I had a leak on my trucks thermostat and the only thing that sealed it was a special rtv that was made for antifreeze. The fluid kept going thru gasket maker. The parts store has it and it says its for cooling system-antifreeze.

The only time I've had one leak is when the thermostat slide down and got pinched between the housing and the block.
Use rtv on the thermostat to help hold it in place in the housing,letting it dry so it stays in place.Since most housings are pitted,I've always apply a thin amount of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket.
If this is the way you've done all the installs then I got nothing else.
Good luck

Ditto...glue the T-stat in place in the housing with a small amount of rtv and let it sit overnight. Then a light coat on both sides of the gasket and the mating surfaces. Let it get flashed over like its beginning to set, then install. After that I usually let it sit overnight again before I fill it up.

Reactions: 2 users
Also make sure you get both gasket surfaces free of all previous sealer and gasket material. One little chunk of stuff left on there from before can prevent a good seal.

I had an issue once and found out coolant was leaking past the bolt threads. I use " right stuff " on my thermostat housing and use a little to stick the thermostat to the housing as mentioned. I don't even use gaskets anymore...just the Permatex. If the holes for the bolts pass into the water jacket I apply a little to the bolt threads too.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an issue once and found out coolant was leaking past the bolt threads. I use " right stuff " on my thermostat housing and use a little to stick the thermostat to the housing as mentioned. I don't even use gaskets anymore...just the Permatex. If the holes for the bolts pass into the water jacket I apply a little to the bolt threads too.
I rarely use the t-stat gaskets anymore either. A little bead of ultra black is usually all I use. Never had one leak.

+1 for attaching the thermostat to the housing with rtv.

I have to say theres a strong possibility the thermostat is sliding down as mentioned

Yup, and the first time you crank the bolts down after the rim of the thermostat has dropped down, you bend the factory thermostat housing, and it takes a miracle amount of RTV to seal it, if it will ever seal. It's something that almost every Mustang owner has done. I remember bending my first thermostat housing.

I use gasket tack on all my gaskets. First I tack the thermostat into the housing, then tack the gasket to the housing. Let it set up for a few minutes, then move it around to ensure the thermostat won't drop out just by moving it.

Kurt

Had a problem with a new aftermarket cast iron housing a couple of years ago. Check to make sure the holes line up properly with the gasket before you install it.

OEM ones crack very easy, check your for cracks.

For what its worth Permatex makes a special gasket sealer for coolant. They do not recommend the others sealants for coolant. Most auto stores carry it.

Would be a good idea to use an adhesive to hold the thermostat in place. I sometimes use Permatex #2 between the thermostat and the housing to hold it.

As mentioned, use blue rtv, a very thin amount, both sides of the gasket and on both bolts just for precaution. The rtv will hold the thermostat in place, but yes,, access is limited and it's a bit of a pita to get right.

Stick with it, you'll get it. Lots of great advice in this thread

Ford Performance might still have their chrome plated machined aluminum t-stat housing.
M-8592-B302.jpg

I bought a new outlet which came with a new gasket. Used rtv to keep the stat from sliding out of place then I put more rtv sealer on both sides of the new gasket. I can see the stuff has squeezed out all around the outlet. Its just sitting now because the rtv stuff says 24 hours before adding fluids. Lets hope it works this time or its getting towed in the spring when I can get it out of the barn.